Linux for smartphones

John Leber

Reaction score
Credits
I am wondering if anyone has an idea how much it would cost to sponsor Linux.org to develop an operating to compete with Android. I am old enough to remember Unix and MS-DOS 3.0, and only a month ago got my first smartphone, which I am ready to return in exchange for my old flip phone.

I realize there are an incredible number of issues, marketing, leverage on manufacturers, and probably retaliation by companies like Alphabet (parent of Google), but the present smart phone landscape is simply absurd. Either I tell Apple or Google EVERYTHING about me, what I do and where I do it, or I don't have a smart phone. I think the world is ready, and quite possibly would fund, a third alternative beholden to no one.

I like the idea and yes, I am a huge fan of linux as I have used Linux Mint on my College Laptop for nearly 4 years. That time I was able to know more about linux and think about the GUI and all, though there are famous operating systems for Personal computers, I still love linux only. I though I could see Linux one day on smartphones but I know I should wait and see.

In case if someone wants to try out Android on Linux or Mac or Windows, they can easily do that with the help of nox emulator.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's already a forum app called tapatalk it takes your forum info and sets you up on a platform to work your way through the site. Also there are ways to run certain rom's if you can root your smart phone you can also develop your own apps using Android studio . Since Android is Linux based I don't see why you couldn't run Linux on a smart phone.
only problem is getting the software written to partition on sd card and then dual booting along side Android. You might however be able to find an emulator for LInux to be ran on your smart phone.

There's already a forum app called tapatalk it takes your forum info and sets you up on a platform to work your way through the site. Also there are ways to run certain rom's if you can root your smart phone you can also develop your own apps using Android studio . Since Android is Linux based I don't see why you couldn't run Linux on a smart phone.
only problem is getting the software written to partition on sd card and then dual booting along side Android. You might however be able to find an emulator for LInux to be ran on your smart phone.
Will definitely try out with the nox player for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't rooted a phone in a while but if i can find a way to root my LG I would love to give it a run.

I got tired of being ripped off by cell phone companies, their locked phones and all the crapware that comes with them. I finally started buying my phones from either Amazon or the factory direct. They come unlocked and with minimal amount of APPS installed. You can install and delete what you want.
My current phone is a "Oneplus" and I couldn't be happier.

Sounds like I'm complaining about winblows or Mac, doesn't it?:D

Yeah I bought an unlocked Huawei mate se for $230 64 gb internal with up to 2 tb sd. But I broke the screen and no support in the USA due to some homeland security reasons lol! so that was a burn. no I use cricket pay the phone off no crazy apps you can't delete.

At least Mac is stable windows has just worn me out.

Install Userland on your phone and that allows us to have some Linux programs always with us.We will find a list of operating systems and Linux applications that we will be able to easily install and use even with the smartphone.

I am wondering if anyone has an idea how much it would cost to sponsor Linux.org to develop an operating to compete with Android. I am old enough to remember Unix and MS-DOS 3.0, and only a month ago got my first smartphone, which I am ready to return in exchange for my old flip phone.

I realize there are an incredible number of issues, marketing, leverage on manufacturers, and probably retaliation by companies like Alphabet (parent of Google), but the present smart phone landscape is simply absurd. Either I tell Apple or Google EVERYTHING about me, what I do and where I do it, or I don't have a smart phone. I think the world is ready, and quite possibly would fund, a third alternative beholden to no one.
Perhaps the Librem 5 will fill the bill?
https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

KDE Neon has a phone version. https://www.plasma-mobile.org/overview/. I seem to recall Ubuntu attempting to break into the phone market as well. Not sure if they completed it or dropped it though. Firefox also had a phone OS, again not sure of the current state. It can be and has been done.

Staff online