linux for physicist

raman kumar

Reaction score
Credits
which is best linux for physicists ? will Kali be a good option for physicists? plese give me name of linux that are highly technical and give specifications

i was already watching this site . can anyone name linux for cosmologist and particle physicist

i hope that there should be an article on the linux.org for linux according to use and occupation.

Scientific Linux would have been my first suggestion. Failing that anything Red Hat, Debian or Arch based might be good choices. Because they are distros that serve as the base for a lot of other distros and have huge software repositories, including a lot of scientific applications!

If you want something stable, CentOS (RHEL based and also used as the base for scientific Linux) might be a good choice. Or Debian stable.

If you want something more bleeding edge - perhaps Debian testing, Ubuntu/Mint, Fedora, or perhaps something Arch based?!

I think the scientific community usually go with Red hat based distros (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS).

Scientific Linux isn't going to continue, so they won't release a version 8 since they are going to contribute to the CentOS project instead maintaining Scientific Linux. There's also still CERN Linux.

Also a question, how hard is it to do some of your own research? Since all of the answers you have gotten here have done exactly that for you. While you could have done it yourself by going to a search engine and typing in what you are looking for. Just my two cents.

i will remain using debian 10 and install necessary software for physics, as i could not find anyone better.

Last edited: