Linux for New HP Stream

J

J Masin

I just purchased a new HP Stream with these specs:

2 GB memory
32 GB Hard drive
No CD ROM, just 3 USB ports

I'm new to the site here and I have been looking around but I can't figure out which Linux I can install on this machine. Should i replace the Windows entirely or load a verions of Linux in the Windows environment? I'd really like to just blow out the Windows, but can Linux run in this small of a system?

Thanks for any help.

2 GB memory
32 GB Hard drive

I'm new to the site here and I have been looking around but I can't figure out which Linux I can install on this machine. Should i replace the Windows entirely or load a verions of Linux in the Windows environment? I'd really like to just blow out the Windows, but can Linux run in this small of a system?

Thanks for any help.

As long as Linux boots, it will run. For the new Stream (I am assuming Stream 11) you should only have to make a live USB drive with an EFI (secure boot compatible ) Linux distro. I always recommend Ubuntu but with only 2 GB ram that may be cutting things a bit close. So try Mint, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate edition, Fedora XFCE/LXDE edition, etc.

Before doing anything you should probably make a Windows 8.1 recovery disk. With only 32BG HDD the best option is to replace Windows 8.1 instead of dual boot. Just make sure everything works when running the Linux distro live. Wifi, tracpad, function keys...etc

It runs perfect Linux Mint 17.1 on this HP stream beats audio 14¨ computer. I have installed today it took me 30 min. and I am writing this post with it.
- make a usb LM boot-able, inserted it in the usb drive (left side usb works faster); run installation, fill your data, reboot and that´s all.
The wifi might give you a hard time.( if you have a wifi usb driver, plug it in the any usb of the computer) and click in the Driver Manager button of the system settings and select the Update AMD, and the wife below, click set, and you are ready - speed and graphics are great after you have updated the system.

2 GB memory
32 GB Hard drive

Thanks for any help.
Mint

Last edited:
Well, how did it work.....? :3 Is everything ok.......? :)

Well, how did it work.....? :3 Is everything ok.......? :)
Yes, once the i ran update and dist- grade everything came alive.
It has a nice resolution of 1376x768 (16:9), usb ports, wifi, bluetooth, keyboard and keyboard short cuts sound is very good better than in windows 8, battery life improved too. Im getting 9 plus hour of battery.

It has a nice resolution of 1376x768 (16:9), usb ports, wifi, bluetooth, keyboard and keyboard short cuts sound is very good better than in windows 8, battery life improved too. Im getting 9 plus hour of battery.
So around 3 extra battery hours? Nice. If it were an Intel system I would suggest Thermald to increase that by a 2-3 more hours.

So around 3 extra battery hours? Nice. If it were an Intel system I would suggest Thermald to increase that by a 2-3 more hours.
Installing it now..... :) How did I not KNOW of that.....??? :D

YAY!..... Blackneos is happy!!..... ^^

I've installed Debian 8.0 (jessie) and it works fine. Wifi update helps. Its an amazing little laptop. Followed the Debian HP Stream install instructions at astroelec.blogspot.co.nz/ (sorry can't link)

I've installed Debian 8.0 (jessie) and it works fine. Wifi update helps. Its an amazing little laptop. Followed the Debian HP Stream install instructions at astroelec.blogspot.co.nz/ (sorry can't link)
Really.....? :) I'm glad you like it..... :3 I want to get Linux to run on a MicroSD Card for my ASUS..... 'Course, it's gotta be Class 10, so it's reasonably fast for a Flash Card..... :D

Hi I tried to install this but it all came apart when it rebooted and I could not manage to get the wlan0 to come up. I followed the instructions but it kept complaining about there not being enough parameters in the iface line.

Any chance you could share your interfaces file - obviously without the SSID and password details :)

I went back to Linux Mint in the end but was unable to boot the 64-bit version from USB - it kept stating it couldn't find a live media - I understand this is a problem with the gigabite motherboard and I've got he 32 bit version almost up and running now (legacy boot), just in the process of updating the kernel and the packages.

Hi There

My file was (you should insert your own PSK and ssid in there)

Let me know how you get on.

tim@sybil:~$ more /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "Electron"
wpa-psk 9c0b96a52afac09419c1538c00270b024c9e7dabfb224db138a15

Odd, I'm really not sure what I had different other than a tabspace before wpa-ssid and wpa-psk.

I managed to get Linux Mint XFCE 17.1 running in the end albeit the 32bit version. Had a few issues updating the kernel as something was missing prevent the new kernel (3.16 and 3.19) mounting the internal MMC storage, but then I found a load of extra kernel based packages to install which appeared to fix the matter.

I'm sure there's a more elegant way of getting linux running, however it works and is far better behaved than windows 8.1 :) The touchpad does seem to be very over responsive and if you catch it whilst typing it can send the cursor across the screen, but I think that it a hardware matter!

I will write up my installation on my blog in the hope it helps someone else.

Thanks again.

As stated above I've done a bit of a write-up just in case it helps others with an install onto the Stream 11. It won't let me post a link but you can find it from my wordpress com page (it won't let me link but it's same username as here).

Is the HP Stream 11 32bit or 64 bit? I would like to install Linux Mint.

Is the HP Stream 11 32bit or 64 bit? I would like to install Linux Mint.

This is something I've struggled to confirm an answer with. Have a look in your bios and see what the bios version is. Mine is F.08 and the system would seem to be 32 bit only (no amount of trying to get 64 bit onto it works). However others with F.04 bios seem to have had no trouble with 64 bit Linux.......

If you do a search for "Linux Mint on Hp Stream 11" it should bring up my wordpress post about installing the 32 bit 17.1 Mint.

ownload the latest Fedlet ISO file and burn it to a USB drive, (or just extract the EFI directory). Dowload a 32-bit Ubuntu 14.10 ISO file and burn it to a USB drive . Copy the Fedlet EFI directory to the root of the Ubuntu USB drive. Rename the Ubuntu USB /EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg file "grub.cfg_FEDLET" (or just delete it). Copy the Ubuntu USB /boot/grub/loopback.cfg file to /EFI/BOOT, and rename it "grub.cfg".

This is something I've struggled to confirm an answer with. Have a look in your bios and see what the bios version is. Mine is F.08 and the system would seem to be 32 bit only (no amount of trying to get 64 bit onto it works). However others with F.04 bios seem to have had no trouble with 64 bit Linux.......

If you do a search for "Linux Mint on Hp Stream 11" it should bring up my wordpress post about installing the 32 bit 17.1 Mint.
Welcome to linux.org, good sir!!..... ^^

Hello, I just wanted to stated everyone that I bought myself a HP Stream 14 and the way I installed Linux Mint (version 17.2 64-bit with Cinnamon desktop) was:

Using gparted, format a USB drive and mark boot as flag
Simply extract the Linux Mint ISO to the USB (no burning or anything further)
Boot the system from the USB drive (through BIOS)

And there you go! Once it's installed just go to Settings and under hardware something (sorry but I installed it in Spanish so don't exactly know the English name for it) select the private drivers for both Wlan and Video (this one with the updated version)

Just that, now it's been working fluently for the last 3-4 weeks. The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to make the trackpad work as it should instead of a 'simple' mouse. But it's far from being crucial.

Linux Mint & Stream 14 work great together, boots in ~15 secs and you have a nice efficient and light laptop with linux.

Thanks to Henry Diaz whose post above made me decide to finally buy this great laptop!!

2 GB memory
32 GB Hard drive

Thanks for any help.
you can install ubuntu, it easy to use, and any kind of linux can run in 2gb ram and 20gb hard driver. you can download ubuntu from http://www.ubuntu.com

Members online

Latest posts