Linux effecting hardware/Windows when installed on separate SSD's?

Blackkeys1098

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Windows 10 on one SSD first because it's a giant pain in the ass to configure to your liking then installed Solus on my other SSD with seemingly no problem. Grub doesn't seem to recognize the W10 drive but that's just an irritant since Solus is the daily driver.

I've done this a few times with the same problem that I'm about to describe coming up every single time.

When I do boot windows, the Radeon software seems to have been corrupted and won't load. The graphics and driver still appear to be working as they should but the Radeon hub/GUI is toast.

Am I doing anything wrong in particular or are these two systems just destined to play tug-o-war?

Windows 10 64-pro
Solus 4.3
ASUS tuf gaming B550M-plus
Ryzen 7 5800x
Radeon 5600 xt

It's the other way around - Windows 10 is causing the problems, not linux. Microsoft have never liked linux and never will (no matter what they say) and for this reason Windows is always trying to screw things up with linux. If you make the mistake to install Windows while the SSD with linux is attached to the motherboard, the Windows installer will scrub the entire linux partition. You also must disable secure boot bc that's screwing things up even more. There's a setting in BIOS to disable it but there's also a setting somewhere in Windows 10 which you must disable as well.
For the same reason the AMD control panel is gone. Windows 10 loads its own drivers for the hardware and erases anything else you attempt to install - that's one of the reasons many hate Windows 10. I've seen this with a friend of mine's computer. I tried a few times to install the nvidia driver from their website but Windows 10 kept removing it, so eventually I gave up and installed Windows 7 on his computer.

It's the other way around - Windows 10 is causing the problems, not linux. Microsoft have never liked linux and never will (no matter what they say) and for this reason Windows is always trying to screw things up with linux. If you make the mistake to install Windows while the SSD with linux is attached to the motherboard, the Windows installer will scrub the entire linux partition. You also must disable secure boot bc that's screwing things up even more. There's a setting in BIOS to disable it but there's also a setting somewhere in Windows 10 which you must disable as well.
For the same reason the AMD control panel is gone. Windows 10 loads its own drivers for the hardware and erases anything else you attempt to install - that's one of the reasons many hate Windows 10. I've seen this with a friend of mine's computer. I tried a few times to install the nvidia driver from their website but Windows 10 kept removing it, so eventually I gave up and installed Windows 7 on his computer.

So, as it stands, I have W10 already configured on one SSD

I want to fresh install Solus on my other SSD

Both are on separate drives directly connected to my MOBO

There's no partitioning, completely separate drives

What do I need to do to do other than disable fast boot and secure boot when installing Solus/Linux to prevent these issues? Do I need to disconnect my drive with windows entirely while I do it?

So, as it stands, I have W10 already configured on one SSD

I want to fresh install Solus on my other SSD

Both are on separate drives directly connected to my MOBO

There's no partitioning, completely separate drives

What do I need to do to do other than disable fast boot and secure boot when installing Solus/Linux to prevent these issues? Do I need to disconnect my drive with windows entirely while I do it?
You don't need to disconnect the drive.

You don't need to disconnect the drive.

Anything I should do? The Solus install is pretty straight forward and doesn't provide a ton of options

Is there something I should tweak or disable in windows or the bios before I try it again?

The sooner I can do my every day computing on Solus over windows the better, ideally with them both working as they should

Anything I should do? The Solus install is pretty straight forward and doesn't provide a ton of options

Is there something I should tweak or disable in windows or the bios before I try it again?

The sooner I can do my every day computing on Solus over windows the better, ideally with them both working as they should
Just disable secure boot, I don't know what your BIOS looks like. I disable a little bit more in mine so it won't affect me while using Linux and privacy reasons.

If you are booting to Solus first then do a complete shutdown instead of a reboot. If Booting to Windows first do the same make sure it's a complete shutdown Windows like to shutdown to only what maybe call Hibernate instead of really shutting down the machine. This can cause problems with both Os's Better yet blow windows away and only use Linux ::D

Staff online

Members online