Linux DNS set up

J

juliush

I've been trying to accomplish a DNS set up on my local machine using Linux and CentOS.

I am able to ping, dig and nslookup to my example website.

nameservers
da.jpg

On my Linux everything seemed to work:I can access my server and ping/nslookup/etc to the requested webpage on my created Linux server but when I'm in command line in Windows I'm unable to ping/nslookup/... ims.be and as such I'm also unable to surf to ims.be using any web browser. However when I surf to my IP address this displays the page ims.be like it should.

Pinq request could not find host ims.be Please check the name and try again.

When I ask (in Windows) for ipconfig -all, I realised that on my local area connection I got 3 DNS servers but I only need to access the 192.168.0.198...?
5..jpg

What are these 2a02:1800:100::44:1 and 2a02:1800:100::44:2 doing?

Are they causing that I'm unable to ping to my webpage hosted on my linux?

If yes: can I remove or shut down these 2 DNS servers?

Or is something else causing this problem?

Any help would really be appreciated!

What are you using as your DNS server? Bind? Also are your zones set up correctly? Post your full DNS server config file.

Those two strange looking strings are IPv6 addresses. Probably your router or something.

Post your DNS config and zone files.

esolv.conf
On Linux the DNS servers the system uses for name resolution are defined in the file:
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf

Open resolv.conf with an editor like nano to make the necessary changes (if it doesn't exist already this will create the file for us):
Code:
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

esolv.conf
On Linux the DNS servers the system uses for name resolution are defined in the file:
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf

Open resolv.conf with an editor like nano to make the necessary changes (if it doesn't exist already this will create the file for us):
Code:
sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf
I am not familiar with all Distros, and all configurations, but some at least generate the resolv.conf each time the system is booted. See the image in the original posting. On one of my Debian systems it states,
# Generated by NetworkManager
On my other,
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
Any edits to this file will disappear on the next boot.

Please check the documentation for your Distro to see which file to edit.

Members online

Latest posts