Linux distro

C

Cats

HI my Dad just gave me a gateway netbook 2010 kav60 with intel atom processor, what linux distro do any of you linux fan
suggest for this netbook that will run nicely. I like to watch yotube videos and stream music . I had a asus Eee Netbook with linux loaded on it from factory it was Xandros, I loved it but eventually couldn't get updated adobe flashpayer etc. It became outdated. Thank you. (p.s. i don't know much about computers so it will be my husband loading stuff for me.):eek:

Ubuntu or Kubuntu should run OK on something that recent and would give you, in most cases, an easy installation that would just work. But you may want to check out Bodhi Linux as well, an Ubuntu-based distribution that uses Enlightenment as the window manager. I have an older netbook and Ubuntu and Kubuntu were a bit sluggish on it. But Bodhi uses less resources and runs like a dream, while still giving me access to Ubuntu's great software repositories.

OP's approx machine specs:

Model : Gateway LT2016U (KAV60)
Processor : Intel Atom Processor N270 @1.60GHz
Memory (RAM) : 1024MB
Primary Hard Drive : 160GB
Video Card : Integrated Video Card
Optical Drive : None
Screen Size : 10.1″ LED LCD
Wired Network Card : Included
Bluetooth : None
Wireless Network Card : Included

At 1.6MHz and one GB RAM, "heavy" Desktop Environments (DE) are to be discouraged in favor of "lighter" ones such as LXDE or just a Windows Manager (WM).

This means stay away from KDE and Gnome unless you do not mind slow performance. (Good advice from OldSmoky2).

Recommend peppermint3 (ubuntu-derived), antiX or CrunchBang (Debian-based), Zenwalk (Slackware-derived), PCLXDE (Mandriva-derived) or Bodhi (which is ubuntu-based and has E17 as DE/WM). Go to http://distrowatch.com and check each one out.

Best wishes and welcome to the forum, Cats!

Members online

Latest posts