Linux Distro without need for shutdown

user2

Reaction score
Credits
Hello guys,

is there any version of Linux that is designed for being switched off without shutdown?

Or maybe a different OS?

I need this for a panel PC inside a switch cabinet.

Very likely you could simply switch off a Linux exactly once without consequences.

Seriously, don't do it. Switching off almost any OS without allowing it to do an orderly shutdown is asking for trouble as there will be running processes that will be unable to logically complete, leaving your system in an unstable position.

If that PC is headless, it is still possible to SSH into from another it and execute an orderly shutdown.

I've shutdown a few systems more than once without a proper shutdown and never ran into any problems. However it's always better to give a shutdown for the reaason @jglen490 mentioned. You can always ssh in remotely and give shutdown from there.

Thank you for your replies.
I agree with you, it can be done but it's not ideal.

In my case this is not an option, because I'm a student at the HAW university in Hamburg and need this for a project. So "of the book" engineering is kindof a requirement. Plus our prof already mentioned we should take care of this.

We have the option to shutdown with user input on the screen. But this is inconvenient and we want to provide a fool- and fail save design.

So if anyone knows an OS that doesn't want to be shut down before turned off, please let me know.

I need this for a panel PC inside a switch cabinet.
Can you access the PC's power switch directly? Many or most Linux distros have a Power Management utility, and you can control what happens when pressing the Power button, including shutdown. I just tested this and it shuts down immediately, and it also starts up without running fsck, so I assume this to be a safe shutdown for the PC (but it won't save open programs).

If your need is to kill power with another power switch or circuit breaker, then I don't think you will find a Linux, or any operating system, that likes that procedure repeatedly.

The plan was to just switch off the power supply by a mains switch.
Since this seems to be not okay with any OS available, we have decided to add a momentary switch which will lead to the panel-pc's soft-off input that triggers a shutdown procedure.

That means the user has to push this momentary switch, wait until shutdown is complete and then turn off the mains. Not ideal simple to use but acceptable.

Thanks for your thoughts and contributions!

Members online

Latest posts