Linux Distro OS & Intel NUC compatibility.

O. Andrew

Reaction score
Credits
Hello People. I'm new here. Fed up with Windows 10 and Microsoft in general. I'm have an Intel NUC8i5BEH 64 with 16G RAM, and am using (learning to use) OBS, GIMP, and OmegaT cat tool. I would like advice on which distro would suit my computer and function smoothly with this software, as well as Chrome and Word. If any of you has experience with this, I would be grateful for your response. O. Andrew.

Pretty much any distro will work. I'd avoid the really basic stuff like Puppy or Kolibri, but any full-blown desktop-oriented distro will work.

When people ask this question, it usually just results in people naming their favorite distro - though there's less of that these days. We get this sort of question a lot and, well, the answer is that it's up to you. Pretty much any distro would work. You can start with one distro and end up using a distro from an entirely different family. So, it can be quite a journey.

It's probably easier to get started with something from the Ubuntu family - or maybe a derivative of Ubuntu. There's just so much support and content, that it makes sense to start with one of those.

Sorry, mate, but I am not familiar with OBS or OmegaT cat tool, but usually I recommend that users new to Linux try out a few distributions from a USB stick before installing any on their hard drive. This is done by downloading the distro file, checking the checksum to be sure you have the download correct, and using one of the many software packages available for Windows (I'm assuming that you are currently using windows) to create an ISO Image on a thumb drive. Sorry, but I don't use windows for anything but updating my GPS data, so here is where one of the windows ISO creating experts should step in and tell you which software package to use for creating your thumb drive. The thing about creating an Image on a thumb drive, is that you can use it to test drive(you know, kick the tires, rev the engine, etc?) any number of distros before you decide to install one. It saves much wailing and Gnashing of teeth, don't ya know. You might want to start with "Distro watch", and take your time deciding, there is all the time in the world.:) There are literally hundreds of them, which you will see on the "Distro Watch" site.

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I'll start experimenting very soon. I was leaning towards trying Ubuntu from all I've read. I'll report my progress and potential frustration. Have a nice time, Andy.

Members online