Linux Distro advice please

Actually, slackware's packages are in neither .deb or .rpm format. They're tarballs (.tg/.tgz) IIRC. Slackware is awesome, but NOT a beginner-friendly distro at all. :) To get packages not built into slackware, you'd go to www.slackbuilds.org
there are a few ways you can get packages and an new addition is to package management is slpkg(its not slackpkg) ,which when setup can be used a little like apt search .. apt install.
It can also do things like check out deps (see attached image) . So for cinelerra i installed it and ALL its deps using slpkg.

There are in's and outs for which way you go sometimes slackbuilds is a good route.For those that would like to know what a slackbuild does you can read my effort here : https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:misc:anatomy_of_a_slackbuild

Slackbuilds.org is still a place to checkout for info on pkgs and deps

Attachments

• cinelerra.jpg
    cinelerra.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 422

there are a few ways you can get packages and an new addition is to package management is slpkg(its not slackpkg) ,which when setup can be used a little like apt search .. apt install.
It can also do things like check out deps (see attached image) . So for cinelerra i installed it and ALL its deps using slpkg.

There are in's and outs for which way you go sometimes slackbuilds is a good route.For those that would like to know what a slackbuild does you can read my effort here : https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:misc:anatomy_of_a_slackbuild

Slackbuilds.org is still a place to checkout for info on pkgs and deps
I love {always have} the British dry humor. It is very subtle and striking at the same time
well you know the weather here in Uk is somewhat dismal with quite a bit of "precipitation" - my humor however is untouched its still dry !

To be honest my knowledge is patchy - i have always used the gino d'acampo approach , minimum effort, maximum satisfaction. I never went looking for problems; and still don't my slackware current is behind a month but everything is working and all packages work in harmony. So i'm not interested in upgrading the kernel.
@captain-sensible
I love {always have} the British dry humor. It is very subtle and striking at the same time.
Could it be that I am half Brit on my mothers' side? LOL.
The other half is from across the channel - German! What a mixture!
And then there is my all German wife. That's another subject altogether.
Old Geezer
TC

And then there is my all German wife.
Ah! A cousin of mine mayhap? Two German Grandfathers from both sides of the family. Mum use to have a newspaper that had a photo of one of the first aircraft downed in WWII and one of the crew was apparently her cousin.

gut zu trinken
ja es ist gut because they establish rules on the purity of the water they use in brewing beer and they did that way back in the 18th or 19th century and is still applicable to this day.

We visited Germany and Austria 10 years ago.
I knew there was a difference between their beer and ours {USA}. Theirs' is much better.
We got there after Octoberfest. {I do not like big crowds of people}.
Took a side trip up to Wittenberg and toured the Martin Luther church. That was interesting and instructive.
Old Geezer
TC

There is something there for new linux users - i think the full version was " whether you think you can do a thing or think you can't you are probably right". The second one might be from Emmet Fox

to be fair i once used Mint as well as Antix, Puppy, Simply mephis , Zencafe, Zenwalk and a few others including Ubuntu jaunty. As i remember it wasn't bad. I'm not really sure why i was restless and got onto Slackware.

a very Windows-like feel and is user friendly.
With that I quite agree that is why I chose it with the cinnamon desktop.

Staff online