Linux Computer under 300€ (370$, 240£)

A

AntonioOrvieto

I want to build cheap Linux computer, which components (MOBO, APU, RAM, PSU) do you recommend for maximum efficiency? I will be using Debian, Ubuntu, OpenSuse and Fedora for the most part. It will NOT be used for gaming, but for programming (Octave, Php, C, Java) and internet browsing.

Thank you all!

Is there any particular reason you have for building?

ebay or similar?

I want to build it for a few reasons
1) Why do I have to buy a windows licence?
2) It is reasonably cheaper (in my country(Italy) with 300E you basically buy the worst computer in the shop)
3) I want a great mobo (and it's not that expensive) so that I can upgrade my apu and ram at some time in the future
4) I want it fast : 120 GB of SSD are good for me, I do not need big storage at all! (A Samsung SSD is only 60E)
5) I want it linux-oriented
6) It's an experience I want to make, as I am a student of Computer engineering

There's this, but the site is US so the links may not be valid

Ahah we are not that isolated fortunately! Thanks, this is a very good build (same ram and cpu I was planning to buy). Is there a reason why this works good with linux or is it simply a good and cheap build?

A good and cheap build. Linux is "mentioned" in the text but not greatly. Linux will work on most hardware. It only begins to struggle with the newest, most recent equipment - it has to catch up- rather than influencing the OEMs in their design.

A good and cheap build. Linux is "mentioned" in the text but not greatly. Linux will work on most hardware. It only begins to struggle with the newest, most recent equipment - it has to catch up- rather than influencing the OEMs in their design.

Thanks a lot!

If you ever get your hands on any so-called "bad" PC's, that still function (of course), try using Puppy Linux or Bodhi Linux..... :) Or just try Peppermint OS Linux..... :D

If you ever get your hands on any so-called "bad" PC's, that still function (of course), try using Puppy Linux or Bodhi Linux..... :) Or just try Peppermint OS Linux..... :D

Thanks! I've been a linux user for 5 years now... never liked puppy or bodhi, I am currently using Xubuntu on my laptop.. and that's all I got! I'd really love to build a "3 seconds boot time linux computer", and that's what I'm trying to do!

Thanks! I've been a linux user for 5 years now... never liked puppy or bodhi, I am currently using Xubuntu on my laptop.. and that's all I got! I'd really love to build a "3 seconds boot time linux computer", and that's what I'm trying to do!
Xbuntu is pretty light TOO, I hear..... :D But 3 seconds BOOT TIME.....?? :O WOW..... :O Good luck..... : )

Staff online