Linux compatibility with windows?

I like thumb drives myself but I think for this, burning to DVD would be more appropriate and, as mentioned, possibly safer.

I also was surprised as to how wizard can run 30 or 40 versions of Linux on the one computer. I have enough problems running one.

Stan (@atanere ) and I are back and forward between this thread and another that is keeping us on the hop, so hope this is not disjointed, each person's questions are very important to him/herself, and we try to cater to that.

But the US will go beddy-byes before long and there'll be a chance to catch the breath.

On a 2TB HDD you could actually run over 100 Linux, but who would want to be doing the maintenance? And before some bright spark pipes up and says "128 is the limit" ... it is not, but that is a story for another time and place.

Tony I/we can throw you heaps of reading material if you are willing, to help you identify a Linux that suits your needs.

But if you start with a Linux Mint Cinnamon or MATE (pron. "mar-tay") you are unlikely to go wrong.

Mint has LTS (Long Term Support) editions (support for up to 5 years and its point releases adhere to attaching themselves to the "mother" version.

The current Linux Mint 18 series is based on Ubuntu's 16 'Xenial Xerus' series, which has support to near end of April 2021.

So Linux Mint has v18.0 'Sarah', 18.1 'Serena', 18.2 'Sonya' and last few days 18.3 'Sylvia' available. all with those 4 DEs I mentioned.

The point releases are much like Windows Service Packs eg SP1, SP2 &c, but unlike having to fix a lot of buggy software they often feature new enhancements, new software released, greater security through the avenue of newer kernels, and of course some bug fixes.

Best spot to get your Minties from is from the horse's mouth, and that is here .

Read anything it says about verification and authentication. With your Windows 7, once the .iso is downloaded (a little under 2GB, time taken will depend on whether you are with ADSL 2+, NBN or whatever), you should be able to right-click the file and choose burn to disc? Is that so?

If speed is an option, slow and steady wins the race.

Back later

Wiz.

I have dual boot ubuntu 17.04 with windows 8.1. Linux installed correctly but I didn't get the grub menu when i restart my system. Infact, for login in ubuntu i use live usb then it gives 4 options like ubuntu, live USB, disk check etc.

After that, without selecting any option in the same menu i open command line with the help of button 'C' and in that command line I type exit.

This take me to boot menu which shows me 3 options boot in ubuntu or USB or windows, and in that when i select ubuntu it takes me grub.

Help me.

Hi @Rider_1 and welcome to linux.org, even if under unfortunate circumstances :(

You are sort of "hijacking" another person's thread, but don't be worried, it happens often.

Copy and paste what you have written and go to https://www.linux.org/forums/getting-started.148/ ... to start your own thread, OK? ;)

Use a Subject Title such as for example "Problems with setting up Ubuntu and Windows 8 dual boot" or similar, and it will help people to zero in and help you.

But first, be aware that in using Ubuntu 17.04 - this is a point release with only a 9 months shelf life for support and updates. That expired last month.

You are better served by either installing 16.04.3 LTS (Long Term Support) which is supported until 20 April 2021, or else trying out 17.10.1 (note the dot 1) which also is 9 months, expiring in July this year.

Cheers and see you there, at your new thread.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online