Linux Books

Hello everybody
I was thinking of buying one of these books for christmas. Would you recommend them?

How Linux Works, 3rd Edition: What Every Superuser Should Know
The Linux Command Line, 2nd Edition: A Complete Introduction
Linux Bible
I’m a like late to the party, but I’d recommend all three of them.

The Linux command line and Linux Bible are both great general reference books for any Linux users.

And How Linux Works goes into a lot of detail about how Linux works under the hood. So you can understand what happens at each step from a cold boot, right through to the user logging into the desktop.
If memory serves, it also has chapters on system administration, scripting and compiling software from source.

I’ve mentioned this several times, but HumbleBundle.com regularly sell bundles of Linux and tech-related ebooks. Often you’ll get 15-20 books for less than you’d normally pay for one book.

They also sell book bundles that have other themes - popular manga, graphic novels, comics, fiction, fantasy, self-help, survival, cookery etc.

Over the last four or five years, I’ve built up a huge e-library for next to nothing from buying their book bundles. So I’d highly recommend bookmarking humblebundle.com and taking a look at their book bundles every now and then.

I’m a like late to the party, but I’d recommend all three of them.

The Linux command line and Linux Bible are both great general reference books for any Linux users.

And How Linux Works goes into a lot of detail about how Linux works under the hood. So you can understand what happens at each step from a cold boot, right through to the user logging into the desktop.
If memory serves, it also has chapters on system administration, scripting and compiling software from source.

I’ve mentioned this several times, but HumbleBundle.com regularly sell bundles of Linux and tech-related ebooks. Often you’ll get 15-20 books for less than you’d normally pay for one book.

They also sell book bundles that have other themes - popular manga, graphic novels, comics, fiction, fantasy, self-help, survival, cookery etc.

Over the last four or five years, I’ve built up a huge e-library for next to nothing from buying their book bundles. So I’d highly recommend bookmarking humblebundle.com and taking a look at their book bundles every now and then.
Thanks for the advice :)
I'd rather using a physical book though

All great books in this thread, and I know you said you want physical books, but check out the e-book i wrote (it's in my signature) ;) lol
I checked it out briefly a long time ago, are they commands you use on a regular basis, or is it geared towards "beginners"?

I checked it out briefly a long time ago, are they commands you use on a regular basis, or is it geared towards "beginners"?
It's geared towards beginners - actually, a lot of it .. most of it is in the tutorials sections here on the site haha.

It's geared towards beginners - actually, a lot of it .. most of it is in the tutorials sections here on the site haha.
Yeah that was the impression i got, if you were to write something like "Maximizing the uses of find, nano, awk, and crushing cars with C", then i would definetly buy it from you ;) I actually used vim a lot and came to the conclusion that it just makes more sense in a non-GUI type of environment...which is unfortunate because it has a lot of neat features and professional cred.

I own both The Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible 4th edition
thats a good book.

I own both The Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible 4th edition
thats a good book.
Oh hey again david, did you find my newest/edited explanation of binary math to be helpful?

I appreciate that you wrote it up for me but ive been wracking my brain about my technical issue with getting to my boot settings in my lap top today. Ï go over it as soon as I can figure this out! Thanks again

I appreciate that you wrote it up for me but ive been wracking my brain about my technical issue with getting to my boot settings in my lap top today. Ï go over it as soon as I can figure this out! Thanks again
My first version kinda sucked because the formatting didn't come out right, but that's how binary math works, unfortunately i don't have access to the answers of that quiz you were taking! I've been thinking about getting into math again since i have been learning low level programming with c.

Ill tell you how I figured it out CrazedNerd.

I kept adding numbers up from the top column of numbers until the sequence of numbers I added amounted to the number in the left colum. Then I switched the values on in the sequence I found that amounted to the number in the left colum in the corresponding places. Basically I didnt understand what the heck I was doing but it still worked! im literally semi autistic at mathematics.

Ill tell you how I figured it out CrazedNerd.

I kept adding numbers up from the top column of numbers until the sequence of numbers I added amounted to the number in the left colum. Then I switched the values on in the sequence I found that amounted to the number in the left colum in the corresponding places. Basically I didnt understand what the heck I was doing but it still worked! im literally semi autistic at mathematics.
That's the correct approach to do anything, and no, nobody is autistic at mathematics, autism means lack of social skills and i doubt the experts really even understand what autism really means. Those psychology terms keep changing meaning with time.

Nice,

On second thought it could be that I am potentially brilliant at Mathematics maybe I just have a learning disability in the same way Albert Einstein had one. No idea,

Latest posts