Linux Books

The linux bible is good, read that one first. Then, "the linux command line" will help you with more advanced stuff and a broader understanding of what you can do with the command line and how to apply options to commands you already know. "How linux works" isn't that great, it's helpful but not a whole lot of applicable examples that help the information stick.

i personally prefer pdf's and howto's from websites because they make things easier.

Last edited:
Grab The Linux Bible. I've recommended it many, many times. I have the most current version and a couple of older versions. I've mostly only skimmed the newest version, but it looks as solid as the previous versions. It is my favorite current Linux publication.

There's also some 'For Dummies' options out there. Don't discount them based on the name. In my experience, some of those are pretty solid choices, flush with easy to understand information. Or at least difficult information to understand laid out in an understandable fashion - making it easier to understand!

Yeah, that last sentence is horrible...

There's also some 'For Dummies' options out there.
Absolutely -- i like the "for dummies" books because they explain things in a way that don't force the person reading them to a lot of extra research, whereas "how linux works" unfortunately doesn't explain much of a useful way to use the information. I have "Web Coding & Development For Dummies", and there was only one concept in HTML that i still didn't completely understand by the end of the section (absolute positioning).

You might like paperback better than electronic since those are easier to write in, and overall i like paperback books...however, i prefer electronic when it comes to programming/scripting so that i can just copy and paste the examples. "The linux bible" is great for beginners and people who want to become administrators because of its slow explanations, you should probably find the newest edition if you want to buy that: there are around 4 editions...oh, and if you're interested in kindle versions, then use your browser to read them, it doesn't require any fooling around with wine:

Yes there is some great Linux books out there - Remember getting one with Red Hat Linux 8 with it Linux for Dummies.

Talking of books - some great Linux Magazines out there like Linux Format, Linux Magazine well worth a look at

I cannot bring myself to check out (from the library) or buy any "for dummies" or "idiot's guide to" books. I do not like the self-labeling aspect of their titles.

I recently donated all of my old Linux books from the 1990s and early 2000s to the Friends group at our local public library. They sell them two different ways for fund raising on behalf of the library: At first they put them in their used bookstore at a very low price (typical $1-$2). If a book doesn't sell from the bookstore within a certain period of time, then they are sold by the pound to the recycle center to squeeze out a little cash from them. My feeling is that the Linux books I donated will sell by the pound.

I kept two Linux / Unix books out of emotional nostalgia, but they are outdated and I could not recommend them to others.

I cannot bring myself to check out (from the library) or buy any "for dummies" or "idiot's guide to" books. I do not like the self-labeling aspect of their titles.
The point is that the authors explain the information in a way that doesn't confuse people, it's not actually written for idiots.

The point is that the authors explain the information in a way that doesn't confuse people, it's not actually written for idiots.
Of course. I understood that from the beginning. It is a personal choice, related to the self-labeling aspect of the titles. We live in a free country, and I have no objection if others read or buy them.

I have no books on Linux but I have plenty on notes I've gathered over time...most are not in books.
m1212.gif

It seems to me that you are now ready to become an author. :)

That's how I got linux-tips.us started. One article every other day and the site is going on towards the two year mark (after six months of an earlier site that was kinda like a beta for the idea).

My site's largely based on my notes that I've collected over the years. If I can do it, anyone can do it. I haven't even missed a publication date.

Staff online

Members online