Link to music on SD card brakes from music app

Dell XP’s about 10 years old
Clementine music player hard drive to small for my collection so use a 250gig SDcard after I turn off computer and reboot it has to rescan whole folder which takes ages

G'day doogle, Welcome to linux.org

So the sd card is not setup to mount when the system starts...??...this may cause the problem you are having
Which distro/Linux version are you running ?

Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
How do you mean set up to mount? I leave it plugged in and it shows up on desktop on startup.

if it shows up on desktop it is mounting....so not that.

Are the settings in Clementine such that there is a "connection:" between it and the card ?

So if you drop a new song onto the card, does clementine automatically "see" that new tune

I have all my music on a separate drive

I use deadbeef music player....no typo....it is in the repository in Linux Mint 20 (Software manager)

DeadBeef 'knows' where my music is
Is it the same with Clementine ?

I am sorry I cant just give you a straight answer....When I am sitting in front of the pc I can figure it out....but like all sound/music player issues it is hard to explain and give directions !

The card is linked through preferences/add new folder / then .... /media/dell/250gig sd.
I’ve since shut down and rebooted the laptop several times and started clementine several times and the music is still there so can’t think why it needed to rescan on two occasions

I’m new to Linux and am thrilled how good it works. Everything so far just seems to work.
Installation of operating system setup of printer,WiFi,Bluetooth and installation of apps just works esp as the laptop is 10 years old.
Thanx for your help

No problem !....glad some of what i said made sense.....

Sometimes these little quirks are sent to try us.....and try us they do !

Just to really test out the "connection"....shut the pc down and leave it for 5 minutes....then start it up again and see what happens.

Dont be worried about asking questions....it is often the only way to learn that it is not just you !...we all "enjoy" these frustrating moments from time to time.

I recently tries out and discarded umpteen music players......why ?....because I recently moved to LM20 (cinnamon) myself....and the music player i used on LM18.3 called Nightingale, is no longer supported...wont even install in LM20.....so I tried out audacious, clementine, and numerous others, until I came across deadbeef. I still smile each time I type the name....thought it was a joke.....but it has turned out to be damned good.

What can often save your bacon....in case things go south for whatever reason....is Timeshift
It is already installed on LM20......even if you just save one or two snapshots to that sd card.....that could be enough to save a great mound of frustration.

I have mine set up so it does not save scheduled snapshots.....takes up too much space.
Im do a 'on demand' snapshot roughly once a week or fortnight...depending on shat changes I have made. AFter I eventually got my music thingie all set up I clicked on "Create" in Timeshift, and saved that snapshot to an external drive.

Stay happy and safe

I will try dead beef but the reason I like clementine is that it has an app on my phone so I can remotely control my play back from the phone it’s a great app.
I’m a 25 year apple user but am so pleased with my Linux laptops(3) old chuggers but since I installed SSD in all 3 they boot in 50seconds.

Members online

Latest posts