Linix Installation

Khopki2

Reaction score
Credits
Today is my first day trying to install Linux. Do you have to use a USB to down Load Virtual Box/Ubuntu?

Tell us more. What are you trying to do? Single boot? Dual Boot? Have you not got a USB stick?

You can put the ISO on a USB stick, on a CD or DVD, or you can boot the ISO directly from a Hard Drive,

G'day Khopki2, and Welcome to linux.org

You better give us a bit more detail.....

Any and all specs of the pc this is going on

What is currently installed on the pc ?

What are you aiming to do ?....wipe windows completely ?....dual boot windows with ubuntu or similar?
Install ubuntu inside virtual box with windows still installed ?

As much info as you can Please.

Tell us more. What are you trying to do? Single boot? Dual Boot? Have you not got a USB stick?

You can put the ISO on a USB stick, on a CD or DVD, or you can boot the ISO directly from a Hard Drive,
I’m not sure I am new to this, I don’t have usb stick.

G'day @Khopki2 and welcome :)

Do you have a blank DVD?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I’m not sure I am new to this, I don’t have usb stick.

Okay,
- firstly you need to download the ISO image for your distribution to a working computer
- next you need to put that .ISO file on some sort of media (USB, DVD, etc.) that your to-be-iinux machine can use
So, if both the computer you've downloaded the .ISO file to, and your to-be-linux machine both have DVD burner/players, you would
1) download the .ISO image
2) burn it to DVD (as an .ISO image, see instructions for you OS on how to do this)
3) on your linux-to-be machine, setup the BIOS to boot from DVD, insert the DVD you burned and bootup the machine.
Typically you'll boot up into a running Linux system and from there you will be able to go ahead and install.

keith

Members online

Latest posts