Lifetime Windows user experimenting with Linux for first time ever on Virtual Box!!!

Matthew1674

Credits
So I have used Windows all my life my fondest memories were with Windows XP!!! I just got a new Lenovo Laptop with the newest version of Windows 10 build 2004 with 8GB of ram I think and a 256 SSD IDK in case people need to know what kind of machine I am running. So I have been hearing about Linux and about the community and some of the different distros out there so decided to try Linux. But I do not want to get rid of Windows 10 and I do not have a second machine and trying dual boot scares me do I am using Virtual Box to install Ubuntu 20.04 because I here that distro is best route for new users that and Mint just to get a taste for it until maybe I get it installed on a real machine. If I thought I could dual boot without killing my new computer I would but my warranty is only 30 days on this thing. At this point I do not plan replace Windows 10 as my main OS because I still like Windows I just want to try Linux just for fun of it has a hobby for the moment that could change. So I am just looking for general advice I realize Linux is nothing like Windows which is fine because I am very open to learning a new way of using a computer. I am wondering if using VM for Linux is different than running on it on a real machine? I am using a VM for the first time but i found intructions on Google on to set up my VM with my distro installed. Sorry for the rant. I am hoping for any general advice from the community in mean I am using YT videos and Google to get me started.

Vrai

Credits
So I am just looking for general advice I realize Linux is nothing like Windows which is fine because I am very open to learning a new way of using a computer.
But I do not want to get rid of Windows 10 and I do not have a second machine and trying dual boot scares me
First - make your Windows Recovery disk image (or whatever they call it).
Second - invest in an external drive for backups! Backup your data and consider creating a disk image or clone of your production drive. Restoring from an image or clone is a lot faster than re-installing Windows.
Don't try to dual boot until you are quite confidant or have a second "old clunker" computer for a backup machine.
I am wondering if using VM for Linux is different than running on it on a real machine?
I think it is quite different. I prefer to run Linux on real hardware.

Linux Mint Cinnamon and Ubuntu are two very good distros to start your Linux journey.
Years ago Ubuntu was my favorite but I do not care to use it now. I find it quite annoying.
I use and recommend Linux Mint Cinnamon.

Matthew1674

Credits
Thank you. I typically back up my personal stuff to the cloud and I can easily invest in a SSD from Best Buy and clone my OS as it is now.

Matthew1674

Credits
I have a second machine but the touchpad does not work and she is slow which is why got a new laptop to begin with and I did not consider it for it Linux though I may shop around some Pawn Shops or Ebay and buy a old machine to run Linux for real. I just thought VM may could to get a sense of Linux before putting money into a second machine.

Vrai

Credits
I have a second machine but the touchpad does not work and she is slow which is why got a new laptop to begin with and I did not consider it for it Linux though I may shop around some Pawn Shops or Ebay and buy a old machine to run Linux for real. I just thought VM may could to get a sense of Linux before putting money into a second machine.
VM's are great but in my opinion bare metal is better.

I have found, that if I ask around, many times friends or family will have an old computer tucked away in a closet which they will sell very cheap or even give away. Might be worth checking.

The nice thing about having a spare box is you can play around and experiment with Linux without the stress of worrying about wrecking your production machine!

A spare machine is a good way to learn the installation process, partitioning, etc.

Matthew1674

Credits
Thanks I will look into a used machine for sure. Ill ask online and shop around and see what I can get my hands on. I know VMs are just simulators almost. Truth be told I wanted to learn how to use a VM having learned about them a week ago for the first time it sounded cool. In reality I am wanting to use the VM for more than testing Linux like I want to play with Windows XP or Windows 98 if I can find copies to install on the thing. Windows 10 is my baby but I want to play with other things.

Matthew1674

Credits
now that you can put several live OS on a usb via ventoy , with some live OS also with install capability why go to the trouble of virtual box
Ventoy? I will have google that I do not what that is. I am novice when it comes to computers. To answer your question B=because I after going through all the options i learned about thats what I came with. Linux will not stay a VM only until I find a good second machine for it. I am trying use Linux while keeping Windows 10 without killing my computer.

captain-sensible

Credits
https://ventoy.net/en/index.html its really quite straight forward.

if using from Windows, download window version . basically what it does is format a usb stick into 2 partions. The second part does the work o booting up iso's. A user simply drags and drops an intact iso onto the usb; there will only be one visible partition and thats the one to drag and drop iso's . you then boot from usb stick and it will give you a choice of which iso you want to boot from. With say Mint the iso works live and has capability of also full install to PC

Matthew1674

Credits
https://ventoy.net/en/index.html its really quite straight forward.

if using from Windows, download window version . basically what it does is format a usb stick into 2 partions. The second part does the work o booting up iso's. A user simply drags and drops an intact iso onto the usb; there will only be one visible partition and thats the one to drag and drop iso's . you then boot from usb stick and it will give you a choice of which iso you want to boot from. With say Mint the iso works live and has capability of also full install to PC
So I can boot both Linux and Windows on the same machine safely?

captain-sensible

Credits
forget virtual for a minute , i'm talking bare metal . you can boot one OS from a usb stick at a time ; although usb stick can contain serveral to choose from

list of tested is here :https://www.ventoy.net/en/isolist.html

the booted OS's can live and therefore won't do anything some live have option to install ; you can if you wish have am install iso. I tested Slackware dvd install iso and it booted and went into install sequence. I also have super grub hybrid ; rescuetux something

You have to shutdown if you want to choose another iso to boot

Matthew1674

Credits
forget virtual for a minute , i'm talking bare metal . you can boot one OS from a usb stick at a time ; although usb stick can contain serveral to choose from

list of tested is here :https://www.ventoy.net/en/isolist.html

the booted OS's can live and therefore won't do anything some live have option to install ; you can if you wish have am install iso. I tested Slackware dvd install iso and it booted and went into install sequence. I also have super grub hybrid ; rescuetux something

You have to shutdown if you want to choose another iso to boot
How many GB should the USB stick be?

Matthew1674

Credits
Heck i could a 256 gb stick for for 30 dollars. How many Lets do it because I am crazy. Heck I have needed eternal drive anyways. How many OS's will that run lol?

captain-sensible

Credits
this is one of usb's with ventoy:
ventoy
├── ISO
│ ├── clonezilla-live-20200703-focal-amd64.iso
│ ├── ophcrack-vista-livecd-3.6.0.iso
│ ├── ophcrack-xp-livecd-3.6.0.iso
│ ├── rescatux-0.73.iso
│ └── super_grub2_disk_hybrid_2.04s1.iso
└── System Volume Information
├── IndexerVolumeGuid
└── WPSettings.dat

this is another :
ventoy
├── ISO
│ └── linuxmint-19-cinnamon-32bit.iso
├── persistence.img
└── ventoy
└── ventoy.json

on this one i've got 32 bit aimed at older pc's using persistence so that i can install software

captain-sensible

Credits
so far i haven't got Knoppix to work with persistence via Ventoy ; for slackware live i just use Alien Bobs iso2usb and get slackware current live with persistence that way without ventoy

Latest posts