libre office - Writer - search results

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
hi all

i'm doing a search for a word (in libre office writer) and i don't see how many times that words appears in the document

i know there is a menu option somewhere that will tell me, but i need to know this info all the time

how to output this number always

i bet its already there and i can't see it ;) a screenshot would be helpful

thx

school_42.jpeg

1. CTRL-F to open the Find search box.
2. Type your word into the search box.
3. Click "Find All" button.

See the word count of your word displayed below the search box, and slightly to the right, in the bottom margin of the Writer window. It will also show the total character count of all instances of your words.

I don't know how to make your word count search permanent. You might create a macro to do it.

You might also try asking specific LibreOffice questions on their website rather than here. They have an active user base that knows their product better than we do, I'd guess.

Last edited:
yes you are right, but that would take forever to do

when you hit enter, it should have a little box that tells you how many it found ya know?

alot of manual labor involved with linux :(

thx

Something are a lot easier to do from the command line.

cat somefile | grep somestring | wc -l

when you hit enter, it should have a little box that tells you how many it found ya know?
alot of manual labor involved with linux :(
That Isn't a Linux but a LibreOffice thing in this case.
You might also try asking specific LibreOffice questions on their website rather than here. They have an active user base that knows their product better than we do, I'd guess.
As @atanere already mentioned you can get community assistance and I am sure they are open for suggestions for improvement as well. Here's the link again.
Otherwise just use Microsoft Office Online or install it using PlayOnLinux as how it is explained in the following article.
Or install it using Crossover Linux.

@marbles
1. CTRL-F to open the Find search box.
2. Type your word into the search box.
3. Click "Find All" button.

See the word count of your word displayed below the search box, and slightly to the right, in the bottom margin of the Writer window. It will also show the total character count of all instances of your words.
2023-05-13_11-25.png

The instructions left by @atanere are perfectly correct, and take approx 4 seconds to do

if you glasses are not strong enough to see the end of the red arrow, click on the screenshot to enlarge it

if you glasses are not strong enough to see the end of the red arrow, click on the screenshot to enlarge it
Your comment genuinely brought a smile to my face and induced a hearty chuckle.

Something are a lot easier to do from the command line.

cat somefile | grep somestring | wc -l
Cannot do this with an ODT file however. Might be able to treat it as ZIP file and extract the "contents.xml", then search that but it's really a pain for a text editor, in case the user has to edit it.

Otherwise must take the ODT document and temporarily export to TXT text format, then search as you suggested. :)

I don't know if they changed the procedure, because I used OpenOffice-dot-org v3 for Windows extensively and didn't care very much for Libreoffice later except the Draw application.

this is horrible to use. when you hit ctrl-f, "selected" means one thing

and then when you hit ctrl-f - find all, "selected" means something different

THIS screenshot is ctrl-f....enter the word being searched for (i used your user name)....it shows 7 words 71 characters (it does not separate information about the word marbles
marbles 'selected'.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This screenshot is ctrl-f find all. It shows 2 words, 14 characters...WHY?...because you have selected the word in the search box by hitting find all (find all instances of marbles).......the word marbles is written twice.....and there are 14 characters in the two words (So, by using the find all, it concentrates on the word you have entered (marbles) )
marbles selected 2 find all.png

Members online