Let the games begin

bustedflush

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings and Salutations to all !

Some background, I've been in electronics and computers longer than I sometimes care to think about. Let's just say I learned to program with punch cards and was thrilled when we were able to load with a cassette tape. Been through DOS to 6.22 and windows 3.11 to win10.

I do installation, configuration, networking, integration, and maintenance for radio systems. If my laptop is not working, I might as well stay at home. A "daily driver" and a spare go with me now.

I'm at an intermeditate (?) level for Cisco, 3Com, and HP cli. Did a RHEL install several years ago on an enterprise level. Oddly enough, the issue that drove me batty was fixing the dhcp lease time. Go figure.

Reading through the forums, it appears that I'm not the only one completely fed up with Windows 10. Constantly trying to stop Microsoft from updating my drivers with wrong and/or outdated drivers, Group Policy edits to shut up Cortana, uninstalling unwanted apps, Power Shell to remove apps that won't uninstall, and Registry edits to block future silent installs. Then on the next big update, Microsoft changes things around again and time to start all over. That's providing the update doesn't produce another BSOD. I may be wrong here but it looks like Microsoft is adopting the Apple model. " Our way or no way".

'nuff said. TIme quit talking about it and just make the leap. I've thought it for quite awhile now. Got a plan and after reading through these forums, the plan has been adjusted accordingly. I'll stop here with the introduction (~rant ?) and post my plans in the appropriate forum. I'm hoping for advice, thoughts, as well as opinions.

Looking forward to the adventure..............

Hi @bustedflush, and welcome! It already sounds like you are "one of us!" :D:D We'll be glad to help you along, if needed, but with your background I rather think that you will sail right along and hopefully soon be helping to teach others here as well. It is always nice to get more knowledge, new ideas, different backgrounds and perspectives, etc. If your "radio" experience includes amateur radio, you'll find a few "hams" here also, including me.

You also sound like the kind of guy that might have more than one spare computer around. If so, that would be one of the best methods to jump in with both feet, learn the install routines between a few different distros, and get the full experience rather than running off of DVD or USB, or a VirtualBox install. Just about any desktop/laptop with 2GB or more of RAM will probably work fine.

Cheers

Thanks for the kind words @atanere !

I'm here to learn. Already learned a lot so far and gotten some valuable references. If I ever get to the point here where I can contribute, I most certainly will !

Radio experience is commercial. Mostly government and FCC licensed (from back when it actually meant something). I don't have any real ham experience, however my wife, family, and friends are/were.

Yeah, I've got a backup laptop and an emergency backup laptop. Couple of other old ones I could use but I've come to the realization that I'm just going to have to jump in the deep end and start swimming. I have tried using another machine but when it's crunch time,.......grrrrrrrr..... take the path of least resistance and it's "Hello again old friend".

You have given me a good idea! I should take an old machine and run RHEL to get comfortable with it again from a maintenance perspective. Thanks !!

Yeah, my radio experience is backwards from you... I've got a GROL/radar endorsement... but they've never meant anything! :eek::D:D I used to work in electronic repair, but I realized I'm not really that good at it, so I was able to stay with the same company but move off into other directions, now in Quality Assurance. Counting down... less than 11 months to go. :cool::D

Not a lot of folks on here will be running Red Hat, but perhaps a few. Fedora is more common in the rpm circles, but I'm more of a Debian type (and its derivatives). Already having RHEL experience is definitely a plus for you!

Cheers

I've come in arse-end about ("What's New?" the assembled throng chants, Wizard considers turning them into toads as he has a 9-iron he needs practice with)

... and said "Hi" at his new Thread first :)

Let's just say I learned to program with punch cards and was thrilled when we were able to load with a cassette tape. Been through DOS to 6.22 and windows 3.11 to win10.

My earliest punch cards experience was with MiniTran a cut-down version of Fortran developed by students at Monash University in Melbourne Australia. This was back in 1972.

DOS 6.22 was the last of the great DOSes IMO. Up there with 3.1 and 5.0.

I gave away Windows 7 for a totally Linux environment this time 2014, but having just bought identical Dell Inspirons for my wife and me, am becoming minimally acquainted with Windozer 10.

As I said to Stan (@atanere ) and my fellow Aussie chum Brian (@Condobloke ) a week or two ago - "Cortana, Cortana ...WTF?"

In Oz we had a Ford Cortina in the 60's through 80's, far more useful, IMO

Cheers and as all whom know me will expect, it's Friday in Oz so

Avagudweegend :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

rRFjB56.jpg
Ford Cortina

Last edited:
G'day & Welcome bustedflush.

Win 10....Constantly trying to stop Microsoft... updating drivers , Group Policy...shut up Cortana, uninstalling unwanted apps, Power Shell ...... apps that won't uninstall, and Registry edits to block future silent installs. Then on the next big update, Microsoft changes things around again and time to start all over.....ETC

all amounts to .....doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.......Insane. (Thanks Albert Einstein)

Summary ?......those who stay with win 10 exclusively, will possibly end up the same way....insane.

Last edited:
@atanere I fear I have overstated any RHEL knowledge. It was several years ago and just a basic install to host needed apps. Haven't touched it in years and Ii'm sure I've forgotten everything I learned while doing it. :(

yeah I've got the GROL /w radar endorsement as well. It was a required stepping stone for another cert.

Agree completely with @wizardfromoz and @Condobloke !

Starting to feel right at home already.......

Members online