LENOVO Winbook 100e running windows 10,

Did you begin by booting into WIndows 10 first, and then choosing "restart" as I described earlier? The screenshot showing "hibernation" suggests that you didn't. There are other ways, but "restarting" Windows is about the easiest.
Ah, no, I didn't restart from Windows first. I thought I would give it a go after reading all of this thread, and apparently I'm a do-do, lol.

Ah, no, I didn't restart from Windows first. I thought I would give it a go after reading all of this thread, and apparently I'm a do-do, lol.
First do that... restart from Windows (with your Zorin USB plugged in). See how that goes.

I have about an hour to work with you, maybe a bit less... taking one of my fur babies to the vet today. But if you have time, we may can get you going.

No problem. Your screenshot showed you only have 2 GB of RAM, so it may be sluggish. But one thing at a time. I think Zorin will install, so see what happens. Is it booting on the USB now?

No problem. Your screenshot showed you only have 2 GB of RAM, so it may be sluggish. But one thing at a time. I think Zorin will install, so see what happens. Is it booting on the USB now?
No, windows still hasn't booted completely. I will wrestle with it for a lil bit, go do what your life demands. I also have errands to run and things that I must do today.

No, windows still hasn't booted completely.
Wow... that IS bad. Okay, we can try later this afternoon when you're ready. I won't be too long. There is another way so that you won't have to boot Windows, and I'll cover that then.

Unless you leave it running... and return to it later with Windows running. We can do the restart method first (later) if it is ready to go.

No, windows still hasn't booted completely.
Hmmmmm...... If it is taking that long I may suspect a 'messed up' file system or a hardware problem.
Or, Windows is installing updates.
Is this a Win 10 machine?
I'm getting confused following this thread! o_O

If it were me, I would probably wipe all the Windows stuff off of there and start fresh with a Linux OS other than Zorin. ;)

Hmmmmm...... If it is taking that long I may suspect a 'messed up' file system or a hardware problem.
Or, Windows is installing updates.
Is this a Win 10 machine?
I'm getting confused following this thread! o_O

If it were me, I would probably wipe all the Windows stuff off of there and start fresh with a Linux OS other than Zorin. ;)
Such as....? Not a win 10 machine. I installed win 10 on it. And it was trying to install updates. How do I wipe it completely?

Such as....? Not a win 10 machine. I installed win 10 on it. And it was trying to install updates. How do I wipe it completely?
Generally, when you install a Linux distro the installer will present the option to "erase the entire drive" and install the OS. One thing I have used in the past to completely wipe a drive is Darik's Boot-N-Nuke. It will wipe everything from the drive. Save that option for later though.

If you are not getting to the installer point though something else is going on.

I would try Linux Mint or Manjaro. Make a bootable Live USB with one of those and try again. If the same error messages appear we need to look in a different direction.

So, what would you like to do, Kari? Did Windows finally boot, and start there? Switch to Linux Mint, as @Vrai suggested? It is possible that another distro may boot in spite of Windows being in hibernation, if you have another USB prepared or want to make another. But I don't think Mint will run any better than Zorin with 2 GB of RAM... not if you picked Zorin Lite.

You need to boot on something to erase Windows. You can erase and stop, or erase and install Linux. But I think Windows is messing you up in 2 ways: hibernation is one, and the PCR7 is another possible issue (that seems related to encryption with Bit Locker).

Your call... pick a direction and all of us will help get you there.

So, what would you like to do, Kari? Did Windows finally boot, and start there? Switch to Linux Mint, as @Vrai suggested? It is possible that another distro may boot in spite of Windows being in hibernation, if you have another USB prepared or want to make another. But I don't think Mint will run any better than Zorin with 2 GB of RAM... not if you picked Zorin Lite.

You need to boot on something to erase Windows. You can erase and stop, or erase and install Linux. But I think Windows is messing you up in 2 ways: hibernation is one, and the PCR7 is another possible issue (that seems related to encryption with Bit Locker).

Your call... pick a direction and all of us will help get you there.
Well, I just bought an external thing. damn, already forgot what they called it. Anywho, it's a Seagate Backup Plus portable storage device. 1TB of storage. I would like to completely erase windows off of the Dell, and maybe put Zorin, or some other linux OS on the Seagate and just run it from there. Is that possible?

Well, I just bought an external thing. damn, already forgot what they called it. Anywho, it's a Seagate Backup Plus portable storage device. 1TB of storage. I would like to completely erase windows off of the Dell, and maybe put Zorin, or some other linux OS on the Seagate and just run it from there. Is that possible?
1615940864881.png

Yes, but that is a change in direction. Running Linux on USB hard drive, or USB flash drive will be a little slower than installing to the internal hard drive.... because USB itself is slower.

You can correct me or change course any way you want to go, but I think your first task is going to be to erase your Windows 10 to eliminate this hibernation issue. This is hindering your boot process. If you could boot into Windows 10, you could disable there. If you can't boot into Windows, then you must boot on a USB flash drive.

So, is Windows 10 now running? So that you can restart it?

If not, we can go into the steps to boot a USB, from Windows Troubleshooting mode. This takes a number of steps to begin. I can describe them, or find a link to instructions or a YouTube video or something.

Or maybe Wizard has another suggestion... I see he is online right now too.

Uhhh, you could open up the laptop and REMOVE the internal hard drive, if you're comfortable with that. That would stop both the hibernation and PCR7 problems at the same time! LOL ;)

...and all of us will help get you there.

Indeed, that's what we do, and not just because your avatar looks better than stan's :D

...and maybe put Zorin, or some other linux OS on the Seagate and just run it from there. Is that possible?

It should be.

I note stan is on deck while I write this, so I will defer to him and come back a little later.

stan, I am also thinking throwing MX-19.3, Kubuntu and Lubuntu into the mix, their system requirements would also accommodate the old Dell, do you think?

Back soon

Chris

I will defer to him and come back a little later.
Never trust a Wizard in retreat... they are very dangerous! :) And he's quite a lot smarter than I am! And quite a joker, isn't he? :rolleyes:

Yes, Chris, all good choices if she wants or needs to try another distro. Any could perhaps skip around the hibernation and boot. I've not seen hibernation do this before... usually you can boot on USB, but you cannot access files on the Windows partition. But the cases I've seen are more of an already installed dual-boot setup. This may be more common than I know.

But we have to boot Linux on a USB flash drive in order to install it.... whether to internal hard drive or to external USB hard drive. We've got to beat this hibernation problem that is stopping the boot. Removing the internal drive seems strange, but it would allow booting Zorin, and then allow installing to the external USB drive... though that is a bit of an unusual method.

Uhhh, you could open up the laptop and REMOVE the internal hard drive, if you're comfortable with that. That would stop both the hibernation and PCR7 problems at the same time! LOL ;)
Actually, I don't have to open it at all. It is removable from the side. . So, the Dell will run without a hard drive? OK, ima bout to head back up and try again.

And then plug in your Zorin USB and try to boot. With any luck.... :)

Members online