LENOVO Winbook 100e running windows 10,

So... did it install to the hard drive?
It did, then I had to move it to another room, so of course I had to power it off (it doesn't have a good battery so it's gotta stay plugged in to stay powered up). Anywho, when I plugged it back in and booted it up, it started running like it should. Problem is, it's still running, and that was like 2 hours ago... I'm in class, right now, but I can mess with it as long as it doesn't require my full attention

Problem is, it's still running, and that was like 2 hours ago...
Not sure what the "problem" is here. Take care of school... Linux is play time (or bourbon time). :)

If it installed to the hard drive, take out the USB and only boot the hard drive. I don't know what "still running" applies to. So, let us know when you have time.

Kari there are likely numerous articles headed up something like "10 things (or 20 things) to do after installing Zorin", but number one we can tell you about once we have established you have a successful install is to issue a couple of commands at Terminal that will enable your Firewall - not enabled by default.

Once you have that in place, and with a firewall at your modem-router end, then it is like my signature - not bullet-proof, but wearing Kevlar :)

Morning all, from DownUnder

Wiz

G'morning, Chris. Hope you've had at least one cuppa to get started. :)

It's just about beer:thirty for me. :D

Anywho, when I plugged it back in and booted it up, it started running like it should. Problem is, it's still running, and that was like 2 hours ago...
Hmmmmm..... curiouser and curiouser......

Just thinking out loud here - drive issues would be the first culprit I may suspect.
But there are a host of other items which may be the cause.
I would try to eliminate them one by one (if it is worth the time).

Or perhaps Zorin was auto updating?

Hmmmmm..... curiouser and curiouser......

Just thinking out loud here - drive issues would be the first culprit I may suspect.
But there are a host of other items which may be the cause.
I would try to eliminate them one by one (if it is worth the time).

Or perhaps Zorin was auto updating?
Mmm. I really don't know. I've got like 3 appointments today, so it may be later, but I will try to boot it up again. There weren't any errors, it just kept starting and stopping processes. I turned it off last night.

Mmm. I really don't know. I've got like 3 appointments today, so it may be later, but I will try to boot it up again. There weren't any errors, it just kept starting and stopping processes. I turned it off last night.
Kinda sounds like an 'update'. (just guessing)

Hello, is there a light on at the fort? Anybody home?

We are curious as to how you are going, and is Zorin working, when you have time.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

Ok, all of y'all that helped me through this long, tedious process... Don't think you are getting rid of me very easily, muh-ha-ha-HA!!! Lol, sorry about the hiatus, but it was much needed. Plus, in order for me to graduate, all I have left to complete and submit is 2 1500 word essays. By this Sunday, so I got that in the bag. Other than that. I can focus on learning how to use Zorin, ya know, since I successfully installed it on my hard drive after completely removing Windows OS, and installing 4GB of RAM, instead of only having 2GB. Cannot express how big of a difference it's showing already, let me tell ya. Anywho, there is no chance in Hell that I would have been successful with the install without y'all's help. I wanted to get on here and let y'all know how much I appreciate all y'all's help, and to say how grateful I am that y'all showed me patience and instead of treating me like a dumba$$, y'all treated me with respect, showed me kindness, (blah blah blah-yakketty-shmakketty). Ok, Kari, enough with all the boo-hoo crybaby bullsh*t (both of those phrases have been copywrote by yours truly, btw).

Anyway, guys, THANK Y'ALL SO VERY F-ING MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

Dang. I meant to post this last night, guess I was too tired to really know wtf I was doing, lol.

Go, girl, go ... great news!

Priorities, look after the grad stuff first, and we can look at Zorin questions later in a new Thread.

BUT

(Wizard's but is never far behind him)

If there is one thing you should do for now, it is to enable your Firewall, it is not enabled by default.

You can find your way to Terminal through your Menu, or shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-t .

ufw is the Uncomplicated FireWall.

At Terminal, type in and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You will be prompted to enter your password, do so and press enter.

You will be responded to with a message that UFW is installed (in real time) and that a small startup script will run with each reboot/startup to enable it.

You can check its status with

Code:
sudo ufw status

Between ufw at your computer, and a firewall at your modem/router, you will be safe (see my signature).

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Again, when you are "free", we can look at installing Timeshift, which is better than Windows Restore.

Go, girl, go ... great news!

Priorities, look after the grad stuff first, and we can look at Zorin questions later in a new Thread.

BUT

(Wizard's but is never far behind him)

If there is one thing you should do for now, it is to enable your Firewall, it is not enabled by default.

You can find your way to Terminal through your Menu, or shortcut is Ctrl-Alt-t .

ufw is the Uncomplicated FireWall.

At Terminal, type in and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

You will be prompted to enter your password, do so and press enter.

You will be responded to with a message that UFW is installed (in real time) and that a small startup script will run with each reboot/startup to enable it.

You can check its status with

Code:
sudo ufw status

Between ufw at your computer, and a firewall at your modem/router, you will be safe (see my signature).

Avagudweegend

Wiz

Again, when you are "free", we can look at installing Timeshift, which is better than Windows Restore.
done. Firewall is active

Ok, I need a little help. every time that I reboot, i have to got through setup (f2) and boot into recovery mode first. I have updated my drivers... IM FREAKING OUT A LIL BIT OVER HERE!!!! UGH!!

LOL, settle, petal.

First things first and I know I sound like a Mother Hen.

Have you got the 1,500 word assignment running in a safe environment on another computer, or is that finished now?

On your problem, we could use a screenshot or two from GParted, which is the GNOME Partition Editor.

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

and it should then be available under Menu - System Tools or just start to type it in the search field.

GNOME Screenshot will be under Menu - Utilities

After invoking GParted, you can use Screenshot to take a ... screenshot (surprised?), choose the Current Window option.

A piccie will be saved to eg /home/kari/Pictures, you can then upload the pic here, as you did with the new drive at #4 page 4, which means choose with the Attach files Fullsize over Thumbnail.

I am assuming that with

i have to got through setup (f2) and boot into recovery mode first.

... that that still gets you into a working session with Zorin, yes?

We may need to reinstall your Grub but that is speculation for now. If Stan or other comes along while I am catching zzz's by all means entertain their suggestions.

Cheers

Wiz

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts