LENOVO Winbook 100e running windows 10,

And your screenshots earlier said you have "Dell wireless" built in, so I'm hoping it will work. But we won't dwell long on it if you don't see it.

For reference, you posted those screenshots after we were talking about UEFI and Secure Boot. It does look like this laptop is pretty old, and I would guess that it does not have either UEFI or Secure Boot in it. But I have no idea what you said was set as "Legacy" in there. No matter, just for reference. I think about all Linux will run on this computer, but it will be very helpful for you if you add or replace the RAM up to at least 4 GB.

If wireless does not work, do you have an Ethernet port on the computer? And an Ethernet cable to connect to your router? About any Linux will be 99.9% sure to work with Ethernet.

Not as easily. If it's not there, it may not be working. Check all the icons there. Zorin (and Ubuntu and Mint) are all pretty good to find your network device.
I couldn't find it. So, i connected it to my tablet with a usb cable and turned on my tethering...

OK, as long as you have a way to get online. You don't need to yet... you can't update the USB or anything, so the internet is just for fun. And for looking up help for problems.

You see the desktop icon to "Install"... and as you noted earlier, no need to try that until you have a hard drive ready to install too.

We may can go back to your Windows drive.... hold on a sec

And your screenshots earlier said you have "Dell wireless" built in, so I'm hoping it will work. But we won't dwell long on it if you don't see it.

For reference, you posted those screenshots after we were talking about UEFI and Secure Boot. It does look like this laptop is pretty old, and I would guess that it does not have either UEFI or Secure Boot in it. But I have no idea what you said was set as "Legacy" in there. No matter, just for reference. I think about all Linux will run on this computer, but it will be very helpful for you if you add or replace the RAM up to at least 4 GB.
i will look into getting more RAM to install...

I know it was very slow to get past those hibernation errors.... but I think you said that you had seen that "Plymouth boot screen" error before when trying that. So... you were at the "Try or Install Zorin" screen before, right? If you can get back to that screen, and arrow down to "safe graphics".... you should be able to boot into Zorin with the Windows hard drive plugged in. And then, you can erase it and install Zorin, if you want. ;)

Yeah, no, I can't access the internet on it. But that's ok. It's not like it aint on my desk right beside my lenovo and tablet and my phone, so I can totally loo up help if i need.

Yeah, no, I can't access the internet on it. But that's ok. It's not like it aint on my desk right beside my lenovo and tablet and my phone, so I can totally loo up help if i need.
OK, we'll have to work on an internet solution. But now you get to make some choices... try more USB Linux versions? Get the Windows hard drive cleaned and install Linux to that? Or use your new external USB hard drive and install Linux there?

Your decision, but I would recommend cleaning the Windows drive and installing Linux there. It will be faster, and it won't need a USB drive or USB cable hanging out of it all the time.

If you really want it faster, you can buy a cheap SSD to replace the internal hard drive. I just ordered some for only $22, recommended by another user on the forum here.

I know it was very slow to get past those hibernation errors.... but I think you said that you had seen that "Plymouth boot screen" error before when trying that. So... you were at the "Try or Install Zorin" screen before, right? If you can get back to that screen, and arrow down to "safe graphics".... you should be able to boot into Zorin with the Windows hard drive plugged in. And then, you can erase it and install Zorin, if you want. ;)
I
OK, we'll have to work on an internet solution. But now you get to make some choices... try more USB Linux versions? Get the Windows hard drive cleaned and install Linux to that? Or use your new external USB hard drive and install Linux there?

Your decision, but I would recommend cleaning the Windows drive and installing Linux there. It will be faster, and it won't need a USB drive or USB cable hanging out of it all the time.

If you really want it faster, you can buy a cheap SSD to replace the internal hard drive. I just ordered some for only $22, recommended by another user on the forum here.
I agree with you 100% on cleaning the drive of microsoft.... and I would LOVE to know where to get one of those SSD... the backup that I got earlier was almost 3x what you said you paid for the SSD...

And, I believe that I will try that. What can it hurt, right? lol, but in the a.m. I'm beat and it's been a LLLLOOOONNNGGG 18 hour day today. Maybe if you are available to be here tomorrow, whenever is convenient for you, maybe we can connect and do more with it... or another distro. but, for now, I'm gonna say thank you for your guidance, your advice, your time, and your patience. I appreciate it all. if you lived near, I would bake you some cookies, or make you my caramel pie. Or, Hell, I made a pastrami brisket last week, could always make another, lol. Thanks again, and please let me know the dets on that SSD. I will get one tomorrow

I

I agree with you 100% on cleaning the drive of microsoft.... and I would LOVE to know where to get one of those SSD... the backup that I got earlier was almost 3x what you said you paid for the SSD...
Yeah, but it is WAY bigger.... these are only 128 GB SSD for $22, or 256 GB for about $36.

Yes, I see your other post... it is about bedtime for me too. I'll send you a link tomorrow so you can check out those SSD's. And I should be able to help you clear off the Microsoft and install Zorin on it. No need to be permanent.... you're learning. You may install a half dozen systems to see what you like. But will be easier with Microsoft gone and using a clean drive.

G'nite.

Crikey, I'd say "Get a room you pair", but it would be more like a chat room - 3 pages added while I have been away :)

Excellent progress, the two of you
:cool:

That's really me in that pic. Smokin', huh?

I opened the door for that, but I am not buying into it. Hubby is military and might set the 101st Airborne onto me.

And, Stan, the hardware side, like taking out hard drives, installing RAM, etc... THAT'S where the small amount of know-how for me lies

and

i will look into getting more RAM to install...

Best news I have heard all day :)

Google up the model number on that Dell and get the specs, and they should tell you how much RAM it will support.

Even though the Seagate is 5400rpm and connected via a USB 3.0 cable, if you don't have a 3.0 on the Dell to connect it to, you will only get USB 2.0 speeds - weakest link in the chain. The Dell is probably 5400rpm but if you can ramp up the RAM, then the hard drive is definitely your best option for placing your "go to" Distro, and later you can always stick another Linux on the Seagate to compare, and see what you like.

You pair are going so well together I'll play 3rd wheel, with a few suggestions. Helps being close to the same timezone, I think an hour apart.

Finally

...or just throw it all away and forget about learning this stuff?

Don't even think about it girl, you would be doing yourself a disservice. And missing out on the most fun, and the most freedom, on computers, you have had in years.

Frustrating days? Even stan and I get them occasionally. But with Linux, you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, walk before you can run, run before you can fly. Once you are flying you'll be able to look at a speck on the ground, which was a certain operating system, and wonder "Why didn't I try this years ago?".

Cheers

Wiz

Even though the Seagate is 5400rpm and connected via a USB 3.0 cable, if you don't have a 3.0 on the Dell to connect it to, you will only get USB 2.0 speeds - weakest link in the chain.
Similarly, if you buy a SATA III SSD, it will only run as fast as the SATA controller in your Dell.... meaning it will be slower than it is capable of, but faster than your HDD. But the SATA III drives are backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, so it should work.

My typical advice to anyone is: Don't spend money on a very old computer. Of course, there are exceptions to anything, but the decisions are yours.... whether you will use this laptop enough to justify putting money into it (or whether you might give it to a friend or family... something I do sometimes). You might test it awhile before even buying RAM to see how it goes.

Your screenshots (here) are very helpful. They show your RAM is dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz. It also shows your 2 GB is in one slot, and you have another slot for memory that is empty. You can usually find the memory in a trap door on the bottom of the laptop. Take a look to confirm these things.... two slots, and one is empty. The BIOS reports the memory as DIMM, but laptops are often more specifically SO-DIMM. Find your owner's manual... or Google up the manual for this model Dell, as @wizardfromoz suggests, to be absolutely sure that you get the right memory. Adding another 2 GB module to the empty slot should be easy and inexpensive. Because the computer is so old, it may not be worth going for the maximum, which your manual will specify. The more RAM you have, the better... usually. But there is a point of diminishing returns too. The Dell will never be a screaming powerhouse... it's just too old for some things.

On replacing the HDD... I'd suggest getting Windows cleaned off and having you just use this for a little while. It may not be too bad, actually, and it will be a huge difference from your Windows 10 experience lately. The cheap SSD's will still be there a week or a month from now if you want to get one anyway, though prices fluctuate. The $22 SSD went up to $27, but the other is still $36. Here they are: 128 GB SSD and 256 GB SSD. You can shop all SSD's at NewEgg (here). I ordered three of the smaller ones, but they haven't arrived yet, so I can't say whether I like them or not. You might also find good deals elsewhere, like Amazon.

Okay, enough of my drivel about this. I'll make another post about your Windows hard drive below.

When you were trying to boot yesterday and getting the hibernation error.... did it go through fairly quickly and give you the Zorin "Try or Install" screen? If it was fairly quickly, then I'd say start with the computer powered off, plug the hard drive back in, and boot on your Zorin USB with the "safe graphics" option. Yes, it will still take awhile to boot on USB, but as long as the Windows error isn't making the delay overly painful.

If the delay on the Windows error is overly long, I think you can can leave it out and boot on the USB with "safe graphics" to get it going.... and then plug your hard drive in while it's running. I do not normally recommend this, but Wikipedia says that SATA drives are able to be "hot plugged," so this should be safe. "Should be".... but more safe if you follow the steps above instead, if the boot time is not unbearable.

When you have the hard drive back in, and Zorin running... you will be ready to install Zorin. I can walk you through it, or you can follow my general guidelines (way back here). When you choose "use entire disk" it will erase Windows automatically. It will probably take you about 30-45 minutes to install, maybe less, maybe more... depending on the computer speed and how much time you spend reading through each step. My installs usually only take 20-30 minutes, but I am very familiar with the process.

You're on a roll now! Good luck! :)

Similarly, if you buy a SATA III SSD, it will only run as fast as the SATA controller in your Dell.... meaning it will be slower than it is capable of, but faster than your HDD. But the SATA III drives are backwards compatible to SATA II and SATA I, so it should work.

My typical advice to anyone is: Don't spend money on a very old computer. Of course, there are exceptions to anything, but the decisions are yours.... whether you will use this laptop enough to justify putting money into it (or whether you might give it to a friend or family... something I do sometimes). You might test it awhile before even buying RAM to see how it goes.

Your screenshots (here) are very helpful. They show your RAM is dual-channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz. It also shows your 2 GB is in one slot, and you have another slot for memory that is empty. You can usually find the memory in a trap door on the bottom of the laptop. Take a look to confirm these things.... two slots, and one is empty. The BIOS reports the memory as DIMM, but laptops are often more specifically SO-DIMM. Find your owner's manual... or Google up the manual for this model Dell, as @wizardfromoz suggests, to be absolutely sure that you get the right memory. Adding another 2 GB module to the empty slot should be easy and inexpensive. Because the computer is so old, it may not be worth going for the maximum, which your manual will specify. The more RAM you have, the better... usually. But there is a point of diminishing returns too. The Dell will never be a screaming powerhouse... it's just too old for some things.

On replacing the HDD... I'd suggest getting Windows cleaned off and having you just use this for a little while. It may not be too bad, actually, and it will be a huge difference from your Windows 10 experience lately. The cheap SSD's will still be there a week or a month from now if you want to get one anyway, though prices fluctuate. The $22 SSD went up to $27, but the other is still $36. Here they are: 128 GB SSD and 256 GB SSD. You can shop all SSD's at NewEgg (here). I ordered three of the smaller ones, but they haven't arrived yet, so I can't say whether I like them or not. You might also find good deals elsewhere, like Amazon.

Okay, enough of my drivel about this. I'll make another post about your Windows hard drive below.
I actually bought my Lenovo from NewEgg... Still have the app on my phone. I want to go ahead and get a SSD because I have the cash right now. If I wait around to get one, then I will spend all of my money on food, or booze, lmao

When you were trying to boot yesterday and getting the hibernation error.... did it go through fairly quickly and give you the Zorin "Try or Install" screen? If it was fairly quickly, then I'd say start with the computer powered off, plug the hard drive back in, and boot on your Zorin USB with the "safe graphics" option. Yes, it will still take awhile to boot on USB, but as long as the Windows error isn't making the delay overly painful.

If the delay on the Windows error is overly long, I think you can can leave it out and boot on the USB with "safe graphics" to get it going.... and then plug your hard drive in while it's running. I do not normally recommend this, but Wikipedia says that SATA drives are able to be "hot plugged," so this should be safe. "Should be".... but more safe if you follow the steps above instead, if the boot time is not unbearable.

When you have the hard drive back in, and Zorin running... you will be ready to install Zorin. I can walk you through it, or you can follow my general guidelines (way back here). When you choose "use entire disk" it will erase Windows automatically. It will probably take you about 30-45 minutes to install, maybe less, maybe more... depending on the computer speed and how much time you spend reading through each step. My installs usually only take 20-30 minutes, but I am very familiar with the process.

You're on a roll now! Good luck! :)
I have plenty of time this morning... Have to go pick up a freezer in a bit, but I am watching my class archive and working on homework as well. I can work on the Dell at the same time...multi-tasking is one of my norms, lol

Well, the RAM would be the better first choice, unless you're going for both right away.
Let me check on what it can handle and what it's gonna cost. Again, thank you guys so much. I have more confidence in myself and feel so much better about all of this knowing that I have someone I can ask if I need help or just have questions.

Staff online

Members online