lenovo t450 with windows 10:

johnkelsall

Reaction score
Credits
Lost my windows 7 laptop with 13 plus years of use to a crash. Got a sweet deal on this t450 with windows 10.
Have wanted Linux since the Amiga was around. This is the best time to begin the change to learn. I have thought long about the setup and just get confused (I'm 71) about gnu/grub, penliux,unetinbootin, rufus, ecther and a few other terms.
Just need some concise instructions to deal with booting USB first or the choice of drive (1) as second and fixing Linux Mint to boot from the USB stick and having the use of the SSD drive to run either OS, one at a time.
Anyone brave enough to walk me through these few stumbles, please take one step forward?

Hell Johnkelsall,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm using a T450 right now they are great linux machines everything works out of the box except the fingerprint reader. But I don't use that anyway.
Mint is a good choice. How much ram does your machine have? What's the Hard drive?

Etcher would be my preferred usb burner. You can download a copy here:
Download the ISO image from Mint's web sight here
then just follow the instructions here.
you should be good to go.. Mint is a good choice and there is plenty of help if you need it.

Also you may want to take a look at this page and learn a little about Linux
[https://linuxjourney.com/QUOTE]
Again Welcome don't hesitate to ask questions.

Download the .iso (you can verify it according to the instructions where you downloaded it).
Write it as an image file with Balena Etcher to thumb drive.
Reboot your computer and select the one-time boot menu. See: THIS LINK
Tell it too boot to USB at that one-time boot menu.
Follow the on-screen instructions after picking install - or play around with Linux in a live environment.

Make your ISO pendrive [I recommend this is done with Etcher]

1, plug in the machine
2 insert Iso , usb into drive
3 switch on and open the short boot menu tickle F12 as it switches on [this should bring up the short boot menu]
look down the list and find usb click on it and enter, after a few seconds it should start to load to Ram, [you do not need a harddrive at this stage]
4,when it is loaded check everything works ok [wi-fi, sound, graphics] easiest way to do this is click on the wireless icon find your router and enter the password, when loaded go to your favorite music video site and pick something your familiar with, if it plays ok and the picture looks good you can then decide if you want to take a chance on installing.
5, double click the install button the iso will then check the components of your machine this may take several seconds to a couple of minuets, then provided the harddrive checked out ok it will start to install [if it fails at this stage the harddrive is probably shot]
watch it install when it asks about partitioning choose use complete disc, you will also be asked if you wish to install non-free/proprietary drivers tick the box for yes and enter
you will need to enter information as it installs so keep an eye on it, a typical linux installation can take from 10 to 20 minuets [far less than windows]
if it installs you will get a message do you wish to re-start now, accept
now sit back whilst it re-boots then it will take a couple more minets to clean up the installation and get rid of the install files,
then if all goes well we will have a working linux lappy
Sorry this is a long winded back to basics description but I am trying to cover as much as I can

Hell Johnkelsall,
Welcome to the forum.
I'm using a T450 right now they are great linux machines everything works out of the box except the fingerprint reader. But I don't use that anyway.
Mint is a good choice. How much ram does your machine have? What's the Hard drive?

Etcher would be my preferred usb burner. You can download a copy here: Download the ISO image from Mint's web sight here
you should be good to go.. Mint is a good choice and there is plenty of help if you need it.

my t450 came with I-5 Intel, 8 gigs ram, no f.p. reader, about 256 gig SSD drive(0). Really looked very close to new out of the box. Like Xmas in October.
Thanks for the brief and to the point reply to my questions.
Lenovo was my choice because I had heard the system is highly rated as Linux compatible
Hell Johnkelsall,
Welcome to the forum.

Etcher would be my preferred usb burner. You can download a copy here: Download the ISO image from Mint's web sight here

Thank you, Dave.
I will really look at Etcher
Hell Johnkelsall,
Welcome to the forum.

Hell Johnkelsall,
Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, Dave.
I will take a look again at Etcher. It seems to be a straightforward process and not too circular instructions
I do like that Linux people are open and willing to help
johnkelsall

Download the .iso (you can verify it according to the instructions where you downloaded it).
Write it as an image file with Balena Etcher to thumb drive.
Reboot your computer and select the one-time boot menu. See: THIS LINK
Tell it too boot to USB at that one-time boot menu.
Follow the on-screen instructions after picking install - or play around with Linux in a live environment.
Thank you KGIII,
This forum seems very helpful.
The page (at the top of forums(this page) page) that I used to download Mint shows two verification phrases one as (.txt) and one as (.pgp)but little info on how to generate comparison (sums?).
i will look elsewhere to find explanations

Members online