Lenovo Flex 14, AMD Ryzen 3, new Windows 10 - Mint 19 Cinnamon USB stick problems

Linux4Steve

Reaction score
Credits
I bought a new laptop with windows 10. I am trying to install mint 19 and wipe win.10. I'm using a usb stick that I used to 'clean' install mint 19 on two desktops. From bios it will get to the first menu to chose mint 19, or mint 19 advanced, or OEM (for manufacturers), etc. From there it flashes a screen with maybe 5 short lines, and then a pale screen with no more action.

Linux 4Steve

G'day Steve and welcome to linux.org :)

Tell us a bit more about your environment now, and also about the successes on the desktops.

For example -

Laptop brand and model, and any specs.

Burning method you used for the usb stick if you remember it

On the laptop, have you tried disabling Secure Boot and any Fast Start functions?

Given the previous successes there may be no problems with the stick itself, but is the burned Mint .iso the same and did you verify it?

You could try a different burning method and see if that works.

Which Mint DE (Desktop Environment) is it eg MATE, Cinnamon or Xfce and is it 19 'Tara' or 19.1 'Tessa'?

And do you have access to the 2 desktops running MInt, close by if you need to burn from Linux or check something for us?

Give us some of this information and it will better assist us to help.

You may get me, or someone else.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Can you take a picture of what the screen looks like and post it.

Hi wizardfromoz,

Thank you for your extensive response. The laptop is a Lenovo Flex 14, AMD Ryzen 3, new windows 10. For the usb stick, I followed instructions and I think the file had to be converted to iso and burned in a particular way. I remember trying to verify for a few hours but always reached a dead end. On the laptop I have gone into uefi and boot--secure boot is disabled, fast boot is disabled. On boot menu I can choose Linus lite. ? Lite, could that be the problem? I don't remember modifying the usb, don't know why I would. This laptop doesn't have a cd/dvd drive. It is Mint 19 Cinnamon. I am working on my main desktop mint 19 , so yes. I hope this helps.

Thank you

Linux4Steve

What have you been using to flash the file. On some computers it will only except usb's flashed in a specific way. have you tried etcher

wizardfromoz and Zaki Sl-Lounis,

Yup, those lines of text would be good to know but they flash so fast. I don't know how to pause or slow, and that computer isn't functional yet to be able to take a screen shot.
Linux4Steve

I see that I do have BalenaEtcher on my computer. I think that was for a clone job though.

Your call, Steve :) (& I see Brian @Condobloke , another Aussie, liked that, too)

I think that was for a clone job though.

Unlikely - Balena bought out Etcher 2nd half last year, so BalenaEtcher is Etcher, used for burning .iso's, it is cross-platform, works from Windozey, Linux and Mac.

If you need help with another burning solution, just ask and let us know whether from Windows or Linux.

On verifying, we call them hash checks, SHAsum, hash algorithms, it can confuse. Then there is GPG for signatures, but that can be looked at another day :p. It's all about making sure that what you want is what you get.

The Linux Mint details for SHAsum 256 are at their website.

Linux Mint 19 is 'Tara', 19.1 is 'Tessa'. If you check at your desktop, you can tell which one you are currently using by going to Menu and start to type in Welcome, its screen will show (also tells you the DE).

The SHA256 sum for Linux MInt 19 'Tara' Cinnamon 64-bit is

41dd237ed33a4cc5865ef52cd92b479cded0a9341956de4d6adb794e9c1c10a9

For 19.1 'Tessa' Cinnamon it is

bb4b3ad584f2fec1d91ad60fe57ad4044e5c0934a5e3d229da129c9513862eb0

On hash checking methods, there are different ways with Windows and with Linux.

For Windows, I would recommend

https://bhoover.com/how-to-verify-checksum-windows/

Under Linux, Terminal or GUI available

With Terminal, say your iso has the name

linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

Then

Code:
sha256sum linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

# gives the output

c92a9baafdd599da057a97236f0a853ce1f8b3c7ad41e652ceba493f9ca5623f  linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

... and so on

For a GUI approach for point-and-clickers

try my Thread here, with GTKHash

https://www.linux.org/threads/gtkhash-–-hashing-out-the-basics.4430/

On boot menu I can choose Linus lite. ? Lite, could that be the problem?

That one has me a little curious. Jerry Bezencon produces Linux Lite, and with one exception, all his releases have been for BIOS/MBR, rather than for UEFI.

Anyway, see how you go and let us know.

Wiz

BTW - @Zaki SI-Lounis ... love that signature, Mate :D

Your call, Steve :) (& I see Brian @Condobloke , another Aussie, liked that, too)

Unlikely - Balena bought out Etcher 2nd half last year, so BalenaEtcher is Etcher, used for burning .iso's, it is cross-platform, works from Windozey, Linux and Mac.

If you need help with another burning solution, just ask and let us know whether from Windows or Linux.

On verifying, we call them hash checks, SHAsum, hash algorithms, it can confuse. Then there is GPG for signatures, but that can be looked at another day :p. It's all about making sure that what you want is what you get.

The Linux Mint details for SHAsum 256 are at their website.

Linux Mint 19 is 'Tara', 19.1 is 'Tessa'. If you check at your desktop, you can tell which one you are currently using by going to Menu and start to type in Welcome, its screen will show (also tells you the DE).

The SHA256 sum for Linux MInt 19 'Tara' Cinnamon 64-bit is

41dd237ed33a4cc5865ef52cd92b479cded0a9341956de4d6adb794e9c1c10a9

For 19.1 'Tessa' Cinnamon it is

bb4b3ad584f2fec1d91ad60fe57ad4044e5c0934a5e3d229da129c9513862eb0

On hash checking methods, there are different ways with Windows and with Linux.

For Windows, I would recommend

https://bhoover.com/how-to-verify-checksum-windows/

Under Linux, Terminal or GUI available

With Terminal, say your iso has the name

linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

Then

Code:
sha256sum linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

# gives the output

c92a9baafdd599da057a97236f0a853ce1f8b3c7ad41e652ceba493f9ca5623f  linuxmint-19-cinnamon-64bit-v2.iso

... and so on

For a GUI approach for point-and-clickers

try my Thread here, with GTKHash

https://www.linux.org/threads/gtkhash-–-hashing-out-the-basics.4430/

That one has me a little curious. Jerry Bezencon produces Linux Lite, and with one exception, all his releases have been for BIOS/MBR, rather than for UEFI.

Anyway, see how you go and let us know.

Wiz

BTW - @Zaki SI-Lounis ... love that signature, Mate :D

Thanks It is my favorite quote

OK, thank you for your patience fellow Linux users. I ordered and now received a commercial thumb drive with Linux mint 19. The laptop doesn't recognize it . I went through UEFI and boot menu's but it just isn't recognized. So I plugged in an older thumb drive with Mint 18 and still no recognition. So next I tried a thumb drive MX - 17 Beta (Horizon). This one starts and begins setup but hangs up with, INIT: version 2.88 booting
[info] Using makefile-style concurrent boot in runlevel S.
[....] Starting the hotplug events despatcher: systemd-udevdstarting version 232
, ok
[ ok ] Synthesizing the initial hotplug events ...done,
[....] Waiting for /dev to be fully populated...^@_

S o I waited ....an hour or so.
I now have an external DVD drive for it, so I could produce a DVD to load Mint 19.
I didn' t think that a computer could refuse Linux.
What do you guys think?

I just read the entire post. At the first posting by you, I thought it was the video driver. I've had many installs that just don't work using whatever the default driver is. So I almost always have to set the 'nomodeset' option in the boot parameters. However, after your last post, it's starting to sound like you have a bad USB port. First thing that you could try using a different port on the computer. Second is booting up WIndows and see if it can see the contents of the USB. If you're connecting your external DVD to the computer using the USB port in question, you may still not be able to boot up using it, if it is indeed a bad port.

TechnoJunky, sure appreciate your reply. I plugged the mint 19 in the other USB port but still no recognition, it does light up though. I havn't set up windows ( don't like Cortana). I have read that some laptops are finicky. I also read reviews on this product on Amazon, and a few are defective. I just plugged it into this desktop and all the files show as expected and it is 19.1. What about the finicky laptop idea? (Lenovo Flex 14, AMD Ryzen 3 ) I put in a few hours this afternoon trying to burn an ISO to DVD and/or thumb drive. I can't get permission to move the files to the directory I created in the home files.

I am working on my main desktop mint 19 , so yes. I hope this helps.

G'day Steve. :p

I ordered and now received a commercial thumb drive with Linux mint 19. The laptop doesn't recognize it .

... But does the desktop recognise it. I understand you have a working version of LInux Mint 19 on the desktop, is that so?

You could try booting that from the new stick and see if it gets in to the install program (don't install, obviously) and then we can determine whether the Lenovo is definitely the issue.

Cheers

Wiz

Hello Wiz,
Last night we had a power outage. This and another desktop were in suspended mode. The other one restarted fine but this one,starting Linux, stops at ICE authority not recognized, so it does become a good test of a boot-able USB.
So I started with the USB that I downloaded and burned 19 on a few months ago. Over on the laptop it begins and shows as 'Linpus lite' ( not a typo) Linpus ?? Here on the desktop it loads as Mint 19 and begins setup just fine. I stopped before partition destruction.
So the commercial, green, official one. Plugged in, restarted USB-non UEFI . It starts, 1 st screen, the one that has the penguin in the lower right and says 'beginning in 30 seconds'. Then it goes to a black screen with 'booting' in the upper left with a blinking cursor under it. .... And that's it.
I'm working now from the Windows 8.1 side of the desktop.

Steve I would be seriously questioning whether the laptop was new, or refurbished.

In Australia, my circumstances can be different, but my wife Elaine and I bought a Toshiba Satellite lappie a few years ago that was supposed to be new and had Windows 8.1 on it (hated the metro tiles).

The mouse cursor was jumping all over the place right from the beginning, even before I installed some LInuxes and then blew 8.1 away. The mouse problems continued, and I learned that the laptop was refurbished. Turned out to be a touchscreen problem, and I had to disable the touchscreen to get normal operation.

In your case, you have first a reference to Linux Lite and now a reference to LInpus.

If you go to our quite good search facility near top right and type in

linpus

(I am using dark theme) you get a shot like this

8aWCOV3.png

SCREENSHOT 1

... and apart from this thread, you can see at least two other references this year to LInpus. Linpus is obsolete and no longer maintained.

Did you want to check the credentials on the laptop and get back to us?

Cheers

Wiz

Hello Wiz,
The invoice says "Lenovo Flex 14 2-in-1 Laptop Ryzen 3, 2200U 2.5 GHz Max Boost 4 GB-DDD4, 2400MHz, UPC: 192563499893".
No mention of used or refurbished, I didn't see that on the website either. I bought it from New Egg, and they, from Circuit City. It was at a very good price, like less than half.
That is curious, I thought that "Linpus Lite" was some kind of a computer glitch, not a real distro, and why does a USB stick that loads Mint 19 on other computers, try to load Linpus on this laptop?
Thanks
Steve

why does a USB stick that loads Mint 19 on other computers, try to load Linpus on this laptop?

Only The Shadow knows, mate.

Your BIOS setup utility for the Lenovo will have a brand name and version, eg Insyde H20 v xyz.ab 2017 - can you tell us what that is?

In there will be something about Boot Sequence, which could be different under one of

UEFI chosen or

CSM/Legacy/MBR chosen.

One of them may have a reference to either or both of Linpus, and LInux Lite, and that is why I wondered whether refurbished.

I'll be back with more, just want to check on something.

Wiz

Members online

Latest posts