Lennart Poettering (of systemd & PulseAudio fame) has left RedHat...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
So it is reported, at any rate...

There has been some controversy surrounding all three of these things. Regardless of your personal thoughts on the subject of him or his work, let's keep it above the belt.

I am skeptical of this news. But who knows. He knew how to rile people up.

Yeah, so it has been reported... We'll see. I can't imagine where they'd go after RHEL.

One of his quotes was "
Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside where contributions are valued only by their technical quality, and everybody meets at conferences for beers. Well, it is not like that. It’s quite a sick place to be in.

Open Source community is full of a******s, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets."

Won't comment except to say as I have said before this forum definitely is a positive environment in the open source world.

Won't comment except to say as I have said before this forum definitely is a positive environment in the open source world.

I like to think we're one of the best, in those regards.

One of his quotes was "
Open Source community tries to advertise the community as one happy place to the outside where contributions are valued only by their technical quality, and everybody meets at conferences for beers. Well, it is not like that. It’s quite a sick place to be in.

Open Source community is full of a******s, and I probably more than most others am one of their most favourite targets."
Is this a case of "takes one to know one?" I don't know the guy, except that he made SystemD, which has been a surface for controversy for Linux philosophy zealots. His baby gets picked on, so he's a mad daddy?

I've been a member of another very popular Linux forum for years, and some of the long-timers there seem rather personally unapproachable, and seem to think their sh** don't stink. Try to pass a compliment, and get "yeah, and?" Most of them are ok, as long as you stick to protocol. and "stay in your lane." This forum is quite the opposite ... comfortable.

I've been a member of another very popular Linux forum for years, and some of the long-timers there seem rather personally unapproachable, and seem to think their sh** don't stink. Try to pass a compliment, and get "yeah, and?" Most of them are ok, as long as you stick to protocol. and "stay in your lane." This forum is quite the opposite ... comfortable.
Which forum is that?

I like to think we're one of the best, in those regards.
I've come across a few a**holes here but I'm sure a few people have come across here and found that I'm an a**hole.

I've come across a few a**holes here but I'm sure a few people have come across here and found that I'm an a**hole.

I've been accused of being one a couple of times. I'm okay with that.

Mmmm being a moderator can be an unpopular job when having to reign things in when a thread gets out of control either through a post which is crossing the line or needing to lock a thread. Things get heated and the moderator gets abuse necessitating the need to take disciplinary action. Seen it many times in other forums and I am sure it has happened here. Find it hard to believe this doesn't happen in the Windows world too.

So what I am trying to say is it is not only the Linux World but in lots of other areas of the Computing world. The moderator is a necessary role in forums full stop just like an umpire in cricket and a referee in Rugby and Mr Poettering may find the same may find the same in the world of Windows such can be nature of Human Beings in general.

I have come across some wonderful people in the world of Linux who have a respect for others and are great to talk to.

So to sum up I personally have had good and bad experiences in Linux forums and the same in other non-Linux forums.

I am sure it has happened here.

It has but it's quite rare. I try to be consistent, though I don't see everything I try to. Also, unless it's particularly egregious, I'll let you know before I take action. You get plenty of warning before I do anything. So, if it happens it's because you decided to make it happen.

And in the same vein as this thread, RedHat changes CEO ...

Wondering if there's a paradigm shifts happening at RedHat.

Wondering if there's a paradigm shifts happening at RedHat.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this one. Hicks has been an executive with RH for a long time and everyone that paid much attention knew he was next in line.

With the two combined? I'm still not too sure - but it's worth watching. So far, we have one person leaving for MSFT and a regime change that was very much expected. So, I'd say it's still going to be the same RHEL we've come to love and cherish.

It has but it's quite rare. I try to be consistent, though I don't see everything I try to. Also, unless it's particularly egregious, I'll let you know before I take action. You get plenty of warning before I do anything. So, if it happens it's because you decided to make it happen.
So being a moderator can be like parenting - having to deal with the unruly behaviour sometimes.

Members online