Leaving XP for Linux Assistance

C

CGF

With the endline for XP in sight I am considering dumping XP for Linux. I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge in accomplishing this task. I have several questions I am sure smart Linux users can answer. 1) What version of Ubuntu will work on my 2004 vintage computer (motherboard: ASUS AZN8X2, 1.24 Ghz AMD Athlon processor, 2.5 Gb RAM) and current Linksys Wireless-G router. I believe I should use Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, but I am not sure. I plan to reformat an existing hard drive to use fresh with what I anticipate to be Ubuntu on an install CD/DVD disk. 2) Does Ubuntu come with some type of built-in browser? 3) Should I anticipate other compatibility issues/considerations before embarking on this transition? Thanks!

First up Welcome.
Ubuntu comes as "Live CDs/DVD's meaning you can boot into a desktop without having to install to try it out on your hardware.

As for which Ubuntu maybe Xubuntu would be a good start as the normal Unity Interface needs heaps of ram also if you are new to Linux a sister distro Linux Mint - XFCE desktop. Bodhi is another good distro but is pretty basic. Needs programs added. Best of the bunch in my opinion is Wattos - choose the LXDE edition comes with all the basic requirements.

Yes Ubuntu comes with a browser built in from what I see on Distrowatch is Firefox or though somebody may correct me on that.

Take your time learning things and enjoy at your own pace.

http://xubuntu.org/
http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php
http://www.bodhilinux.com/
http://www.planetwatt.com/

1) Well, pretty much any version of Ubuntu will work on your PC. If you want stable (No bugs PERIOD) then get 12.04. If you want the fastest with the newest features, then get 13.10. Ubuntu is a great Linux distro for beginners, but it may not run super fast on that hardware. You may want to use a lighter distro, such as Bodhi Linux. But, if you are alright with a *slightly* slower experience, Ubuntu is perfect.

2) Ubuntu comes with Firefox, a great open-source browser.

3) Well... That really depends. Most Windows software either has a Linux port, a Linux alternative, or works with Wine. You should be fine.

With the endline for XP in sight I am considering dumping XP for Linux.
Your windows won't just go bang at midnight on the dot on that date... You can continue using it. If it's taken the EoL of a windows release to make you consider switching OS, then it's quite possible that you're considering switching for all the wrong reasons. You also haven't stated why you're not considering the newer windows releases?

1) What version of Ubuntu will work on my 2004 vintage computer (motherboard: ASUS AZN8X2, 1.24 Ghz AMD Athlon processor, 2.5 Gb RAM)
I can't envisage any problems with that, but a lighter distribution than 'buntu would be advisable. What graphics card do you have in there?

2) Does Ubuntu come with some type of built-in browser?
You can install the browser you want (unless of course it's IE...).

3) Should I anticipate other compatibility issues/considerations before embarking on this transition? Thanks!
You can't run windows programs and GNU/Linux is not windows - a different OS means a learning curve and a change for the user. If you're not prepared to change then sticking with what you know is the best option.

You can install the browser you want (unless of course it's IE...).
You CAN install IE6 and IE7 using PlayOnLinux...but would you want to?

You can similarly install Safari (slower than a snail).

You can install Chrome, Firefox or Opera using PlayOnLinux, but there native Linux Versions. Other browsers are available using Linux.

Does Ubuntu come with some type of built-in browser?
Since your heart is set on Ubuntu for some reason, have you considered looking at the their website for information? http://www.ubuntu.com
If you want stable (No bugs PERIOD) then get 12.04.
It only took a year to fix all the bugs in Unity?:eek:
You CAN install IE6 and IE7 using PlayOnLinux...but would you want to?
Using an application in an emulator is not installing it on the system.

Hello,

I appreciate new people coming to the Linux community,

A few resources to help you out:

Operating system's I have had success with:

Ubuntu
Bodhi
Mint

A few programs that Helped me out:

Wine (For running .exe files)
LibreOffice(if not pre-installed)
Gimp

Best wishes on your linux Experience

A few programs that Helped me out:
Wine (For running .exe files)
Why? How is that helpful? None of my applications have .exe files, because those files only work with Windows.
LibreOffice(if not pre-installed)
That is your preferred office suite. There are several. You would be more helpful if you mentioned all the major ones. That would allow readers to try different suites and decide which ones they like best.
An application included on almost every system. Instead of mentioning GIMP specifically, it would make more sense to state, "Use the applications that come with system, instead of using Microcrap applications with Wine.

Members online