learning Linux

Linux is just kernel. You say you want to learn Linux, but you do not say which distro you want to learn. First, ask yourself what you need. Then, choose the best distro that suits your needs. Distrochooser is a good place to start:

When you say you want to learn Linux, you mean the common tools in generic Linux distros, I'm assuming? If that's the case, just start using it. Try doing *everything* on terminal. Start watching YouTube series on bash. GNU/Linux/BSD/WhatEverOSyouthinkof are just a combination of different layers of software. There is no right answer because tools differ among operating systems. I hope it helps.

hello Movic,

i will start this off and maybe expand the topic a bit. Perhaps you might let me know if i got the wrong end of the stick. When you say learn complete Linux , i might interpret that as "learn Linux Completely" . I think learning Linux is a never ending journey particularly since everything is moving and new ideas, systems , programing languages enter the biosphere.

Being pragmatic i would ask what hardware do you currently have at your disposal ? I ask this because you can learn the theory of Linux commands but nothing beats actually using them on a PC.

Me , i'm slow to learn and like little steps also i'm naturally cautious; it has stood me in good stead keeping my Desktop/laptop working . I have messed things up as all do , but i tend to take time to minimize possible pitfalls.

So in learning Linux there are elements of approach and patience or just jump straight into the deep end . you can't beat hand on so ...

One approach to start with would be to get a Linux OS that can be booted from a usb stick; that would allow you to play with Linux and if you mess up its only the usb stick?

Being pragmatic i would ask what hardware do you currently have at your disposal ? I ask this because you can learn the theory of Linux commands but nothing beats actually using them on a PC.
Also, being pragmatic, I would recommend @Movic start with something like Linux Mint or Elementary OS. Learn bash on them and get familiar with it. Then, start reading Arch Wiki and install Arch Linux based on Wiki rules. It will teach you the most you will need to know for general usage. After that, you can start bash scripting. Learning to write a script in a better way is really beneficial for learning. Plus, you can contribute to Linux if you have that kind of skill. Other than that, just get familiar with the tools you need and love. After a while, you may find yourself more selective in what tools you want in your OS. It is an endless journey as our friend mentioned in the previous post. You may end up being overly selective and end up using something like Gentoo or LFS.

The best way to learn Linux is by using Linux.

Start with how to properly create a bootable media.
Learn how to properly install and update and set up your new Linux install.

Don't try and learn to much to quick and become overwhelmed and give up take small steps.

Here's a good place to start.
Study the LinuxLite manual.

Some useful information.

Members online

Latest posts