Learning 'C'.

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
@JasKinasis @captain-sensible
Just a little background on what I have been doing. I have a few books on Linux ranging from 'Cathedral and the Bazaar' to 'Introduction to the Command Line' to 'Assembly Language' and a few others.
What I have been practicing is 'C'. I guess that's why g++ and clang kind of threw me for a loop.
My purpose for learning 'C' was simply to get a little acquainted with what programming is and perhaps a little about how it works.
I have a book on 'C' that I have looked at {got it from Z-Library online}. It's called 'C Programming in Linux by David Haskins.
So far, I have learned much more than I thought I ever would - which isn't really very much.
However, onward we go!!! Charge on ahead is my motto!!!
Jas - Would you recommend that I practice 'C++' instead of 'C'? My understanding is that if I learn 'C' it is a small jump to learn 'C++'.
OG TC

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits

70 Tango Charlie

Credits
@captain-sensible @wizardfromoz @Condobloke @LorenDB @f33dm3bits
Thanks to all you guys for your help.
I have settled on learning old fashioned 'C' for the present time. After looking at 'C++' and some others, it seems like 'C' is easier for me to grasp.
Again, thanks for all your input.
OG TC :cool:
When I have questions about 'C' I will pop them on you! {That's after Googling first. LOL}

JasKinasis

Credits
some say if you learn C , you wil have to unlearn the bad habits and therefore jump straight in with c++
I wouldn’t say bad habits per se. It’s more a case of doing things differently.

When you come from C and you start learning C++, there are certain things that are done differently. It’s the same when you start learning any new programming language.

For example - when starting out with C++, one mistake that C programmers commonly make is to use familiar C code and C library functions in their C++ programs and then augment their code using classes and other functionality from the C++ std:: library. When in many cases - they would be better served simply using C++ for the entire project.

So although both languages are closely related AND any valid C code will work in a C++ program, it is worth remembering that they are two separate, distinct languages.

Different programming languages often solve problems in slightly different ways and require a slightly different mindset, or way of thinking. So part of the problem is learning new syntax. Another part is learning the mindset!

I have settled on learning old fashioned 'C' for the present time. After looking at 'C++' and some others, it seems like 'C' is easier for me to grasp.
Awesome Charlie!
C is a great programming language to learn.

Personally, I learnt C before learning C++. And learning those two languages was a game changer for me. Between them, I learnt enough transferable skills to be able to learn ANY other programming language.

And since becoming a professional programmer - I have ended up learning and using a LOT of additional programming languages. Some were out of my own curiousity, but many were from an immediate professional need, during work projects.

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Credits
I wouldn’t say bad habits per se
yes thats true . my understanding is that Bjarne Stroustrup took C and enabled OOP to become c++ so that there were classes and class members; but that it evolved so much the two have diverged quite some. I'm half decent with OPP php and as you say once you have gone over concepts lets say template classes and instantiation to objects, the syntax may be a bit different but there is a similarity that makes it easier to take it in of a 2nd language after you have done a bit with a first language.

Members online

Latest posts