latest update failed

Try a different repository mirror by going to software sources and selecting a mirror near you.
See if it then works. sometimes the mirrors get a bit out of sink.
Also in software Sources go to additional Additional Repositories and make sure CD is unchecked.

Silly question, what distribution and build number are you currently using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Try a different repository mirror by going to software sources and selecting a mirror near you.
See if it then works. sometimes the mirrors get a bit out of sink.
Also in software Sources go to additional Additional Repositories and make sure CD is unchecked.
what is a mirror?
where do I find software sources?

If it's mint 20 .. Open mint menu, go all applications, scroll down to software sources and open, it should look similar to this

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-02-23 16-08-27.png
    Screenshot from 2022-02-23 16-08-27.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 209
Sorry to continue
once you have the screen open, click on the first box to highlight, then right click to open a list of mirrors, the same for the second box

bring the screen up, in the first box where it says HTTP//packages.linux mint.com, left click to highlight, then right click to open list of mirrors and make your selection, then do the same for the second box ubuntu.com then click yes in the green banner at the bottom

what is a mirror?
where do I find software sources?
You can get to software sources via the main menu and under administration or by going to synaptic and clicking of the settings then selecting repositories. You will see the default mirror that are there just click on the first one and select the mirror that gives you the best downloads speed the do the same for the ubuntu repository mirrors. Also look at what @Lord Boltar posted above.

bring the screen up, in the first box where it says HTTP//packages.linux mint.com, left click to highlight, then right click to open list of mirrors and make your selection, then do the same for the second box ubuntu.com then click yes in the green banner at the bottom
Sorry, forgot to refresh. Okay. I've opened the first and I'm waiting for all the speeds to be displayed. Then do I simply try to update again?

Yes but do it from a terminal this time with these commands so if it spits out an error we can see what the exact error is.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
you can just highlight the error message in the terminal and copy and paste it in your next post.

Sorry, forgot to refresh. Okay. I've opened the first and I'm waiting for all the speeds to be displayed. Then do I simply try to update again?
Yes but do it from a terminal this time with these commands so if it spits out an error we can see what the exact error is.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
you can just highlight the error message in the terminal and copy and paste it in your next post.
Saw this after I went ahead and started updates. Have done it since in terminal with zero errors.
Many thanks for all who helped. I've added this to my "how to do sh*t file in case I ever come across it again.
Grateful for this forum.
cheers,

Saw this after I went ahead and started updates. Have done it since in terminal with zero errors.
Many thanks for all who helped. I've added this to my "how to do sh*t file in case I ever come across it again.
Grateful for this forum.
cheers,
Glad it all worked out for you, enjoy! :)

I've added this to my "how to do sh*t file in case I ever come across it again.
Grateful for this forum.
Everyone should have a how to do Sh*t file.

Sometimes having that 'file' on a dedicated usb stick or an external hard drive can make life good, too !

Seeing you are using Linux Mint, have a look at Timeshift.

It works like system restore in windows.

An external drive is good to save its snapshots on.

Last edited:
the top one opens to files but I don't know what to do with them
the second link shows message: Error: no longer provides udev
when you save the .deb package usually to your downloads folder - open gdebi first - I believe Mint uses that - then click on file > open and point it to the deb package to install then enter your password - it should install it and grab any dependencies that you might need

Members online