Laptop touchpad and on-board wifi configuration

aexlarry

Reaction score
Credits
Hello:

I have already installed Linux Lite 5.4 on my 8 years old Acer laptop and it worked efficiently with only 2gb ram and a 5400rpm hdd. However, Linux Lite is unable to detect the touchpad and the on-board Wi-Fi chip.

Is there any way for me to configure both hardware on my laptop with Linux Lite?

Thank you.

WHICH model is the wi-fi ?
Better still open terminal and enter inxi -Fxxn and copy/paste the result

Bwiz

WHICH model is the wi-fi ?
Better still open terminal and enter inxi -Fxxn and copy/paste the result

Bwiz

Thank you for your help.
My Acer laptop is ES1-411 series

It displays one result related to Network at the terminal:
Network:
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM43142 802.11b/g/n vendor: Lite-On
driver: N/A port: 2000 bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 14e4:4365
Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Acer Incorporated ALI driver: r8169 v: kernel port: 1000
bus ID: 03:00.1 chip ID: 10ec:8168
IF: enp3s0f1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full

Last edited:
ok so you have a Broadcom 43 series wi-fi card, there are good linux drivers for these in the software manager,
open software manager in search box put BC 43 and it should come up with BCM-KERNEL-SOURCE
If it dosn't say installed then click on install [if it says installed then uninstall and start again]
when its finished if you run inxi -Fxxn again the next line under broadcom bcm [etc] should read drivers Broadcom BC43 xxx [or similar]

Bwiz

if this gets your wi-fi working ..good .. if not [and as the tracker is not working] I would suspect a corrupt download of the OS or a bad burn of the installation medium.

so if the wi-fi works then move onto the next step and read this
Bwiz

ok so you have a Broadcom 43 series wi-fi card, there are good linux drivers for these in the software manager,
open software manager in search box put BC 43 and it should come up with BCM-KERNEL-SOURCE
If it dosn't say installed then click on install [if it says installed then uninstall and start again]
when its finished if you run inxi -Fxxn again the next line under broadcom bcm [etc] should read drivers Broadcom BC43 xxx [or similar]

Bwiz

Wi-Fi is working now.
Touchpad is also working now. I have to change the Touchpad option at BIOS from Advanced to Basic.

Thank you!

Last edited:
touchpads are something that dosn't crop up very often, so my knowledge of them is a bit sketchy ..did you read the link I posted ?

Installed Peppermint Linux on a Dell Inspirion 11.6 inch Touchscreen laptop. No issues at all with touchscreen or WiFi. When I wiped out Win10 on the Dell, I did not really use the touchscreen. Win10 was barely even running on the thing. Peppermint however runs fast. The Intel Pentium Dual core and 4Gb ram did not play well with MS but Linux likes.

Touchscreen is responsive, did not even expect it at all. I could do a USB ethernet adapter, I use them on Raspberry Pi's. No need as the Wifi works as well.

touchpads are something that dosn't crop up very often, so my knowledge of them is a bit sketchy ..did you read the link I posted ?
Yes, I followed the link and realized that it might have something to do with the bios.
funny that Windows work very different than Linux when it comes to bios configuration.
Thank you.

I followed the link and realized that it might have something to do with the bios.

excellent
Please amend the thread title to include the word "Solved"
Thanks
Bwiz

Members online

Latest posts