Laptop Recovery

O

OldManRiver

All,

Running Kbuntu on Aspire 7739 and got "disk full" errors. No longer get X-Win, so been deleting files, etc by hand via tty1 and command line.

Should have enough space for a recovery so logged into "recovery" via grub menu, ran repairs and disk clean up and still can not get the system back.

I had started a KDE/Kbuntu desktop, but no where near getting the configs the same.

Would appreciate inputs as this was my primary computer and my desktop is not configured the same, so need to get back to work. Plan is to replace the existing 320GB HD with a 1TB drive after successful recovery.

I have 1TB on the new desktop, but can no longer access the laptop as both samba and nfs went down with the errors.

Thanks!

OMR

sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get clean

While you can go into Synaptic, search for all the bits and pieces of previous kernels, and mark them for removal, here is a much easier method. In a terminal, simply paste the following command, and it will remove all but the current kernel (if you’ve upgraded your system, or had an update with a new kernel, please reboot your machine before running this):

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo apt-get -y purge

You will see some info about what is going on
http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/2...used-linux-kernel-headers-images-and-modules/

arochester,

Command:

dpkg -l 'linux-*' | sed '/^ii/!d;/'"$(uname -r | sed "s/\(.*\)-\([^0-9]\+\)/\1/")"'/d;s/^[^ ]* [^ ]* \([^ ]*\).*/\1/;/[0-9]/!d' | xargs sudo

produces error and reboot since have stdin disabled so can not login even from terminal.

What next?

OMR

Plan is to replace the existing 320GB HD with a 1TB drive after successful recovery.
Can you Boot form a Linux LiveCD? Might have to copy/recover Home to an external Hard Drive and do a new install...

arochester,

The problem that disables "stdin" is not consistant. Grub will boot and I can select "recovery" but as soon as the recovery menu comes up stdin will not accept anything. Even the power button does not respond, so have to remove both power and the battery to hard reboot the laptop.

Cheers!

OMR

arochester,

Can I recover the laptop by booting from CD/DVD version, using chroot, remove more files and correct existing errors?

Cheers!

OMR

arochester,

The default Home directory contains less that 1% of data on this machine. Most is in either:

files
localhost

Since my work is PHP Object Extension work.

Going to attempt the LiveDVD boot, since nothing else is working!

Going through the "system recovery"/"rescue mode" from the LiveDVD boot right now!

Cheers!

OMR

Members online