Laptop limited to 800Mhz

Lolasaurus

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I've seen similar issues posted before but nothing has quite helped yet.

I have a Dell Inspiron N5110 with an I7-2360QM. 4 Cores up to 2.9GHz.
This laptop will not break past 800Mhz, it is so incredibly slow.

I'm running Kubuntu, Using Conky and
Code:
cpufreq-info
in order to monitor cpu usage.

Things I have already tried include the following:

Disabling Speedstep
Bios does not have turboboost settings
Change battery
Change laptop fan
Using Frequtils to set Governor to performance
Putting PC under load to test turboboost, CPU just maxes out at 100% usage of only 800Mhz and is extremely slow still.

The laptop previously had Windows and was about as slow as it is now. Although i didn't check the cpu speed on windows I do think it was similarly locked to 800MHz even on 100% performance mode. Temperatures sit around 35 - 50 degrees, when I try and run a stress test it can get to high 60's but thats all. I noticed sometimes just after boot it is performing all the way to 2.9GHz though, however this false hope returns to 800MHz after a minute or two anyway.

Thank you in advance, happy to comment any more information if needed.
Cheers

Edit: Also I recognize this may be in the wrong section, apologies. Not sure where to post it

Last edited:

ejn63 on 12-14-14 said here RE: Dell Inspiron N5110 CPU upgrade, that . . .
The system was shipped with i7 CPUs . . . That said, the i7 is more capable than the video chip in the system - which is now quite outdated, so instead of the CPU being the system bottleneck, the video chip will be -- and that cannot be upgraded.

If you want the best you can go with that system, upgrade to an i5 CPU and replace the hard drive with a solid-state drive. That'll be your best performance/price upgrade.
So, it is possibly a GPU problem. Which means the motherboard. Which means, possibly, you are SOL.

All that aside,
Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome mate, turns out when I installed lm-sensors I accepted some of the risky scans and that was inexplicably causing the overheating my gpu. Uninstalling lm-sensors fixed the issue but I still had some graphics problems. Installing Bumblebee smoothed everything over and reduced the gpu idle temp and the laptop works well now. Cheers!

Very glad you figured it out!

Members online