Laptop Hard Drive

Which club lol? The haters or the Ubuntu lovers? :p
The Windoze 10 haters! Of course you wouldn't be exclusive to the 'Ubuntu Lovers Club" either.

Hmm not really sure if this is wise or not .This is what I did on my windows 10 but let me say it's not practical at all.
I ONLy use Windows for 1 piece of software (work) and that's it so I will never update the system.I don't really care about anything on it because I'm never using it and of course that will be different for you .

You can do this .You said things pop up? Haha I'm assuming software right?
Windows tend to block everything but there are ways you can modify the system .Search 'group policy ' or you can run it from the run command but for now just search it .It will come up , press enter .From there go to configuration and you will be able to enable and disable what you want .In my case I disabled The anti virus , Updates , the hidden users etc( also blocked many servuces) .It should make the experience more pleasant but it is risky however you will know what you changed so you can always redo what you did.

Make a cup tea before you do that lol

In your Windozer 10, you can go to down near Start where it says "type to search", ignore Cortana and type in

msinfo32

Mine looks a bit like this (click to enlarge)

R7eTY8o.png

Above the highlighted line is installed physical memory, yours is likely 4GB

This site says there is only one slot for RAM, and 8GB is supported.

This site, from Crucial, provides for an 8GB RAM stick, and an SSD.

Point being that if you need to expand RAM, &/or install a new or additional drive, through an approved supplier (check with HP), no probs with warranty?

Morning Christina, morning all - this Wizard is off for more coffee :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

In your Windozer 10, you can go to down near Start where it says "type to search", ignore Cortana and type in

msinfo32

Mine looks a bit like this (click to enlarge)

R7eTY8o.png

Above the highlighted line is installed physical memory, yours is likely 4GB

This site says there is only one slot for RAM, and 8GB is supported.

This site, from Crucial, provides for an 8GB RAM stick, and an SSD.

Point being that if you need to expand RAM, &/or install a new or additional drive, through an approved supplier (check with HP), no probs with warranty?

Morning Christina, morning all - this Wizard is off for more coffee :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I will check this in the morn lol. I hardly ever turn in a warranty either..... Just got this yesterday and turned it on today so assume warranty is in effect. I think I am gonna make a disc of this windows 10 and maybe just get brave and install Ubuntu instead. At least I will have the backup to put back on but who knows about me lmao. Gonna take a few days to decide what I want to do I think. Have even considered an external hard drive but don't know how well that would work.

Have even considered an external hard drive but don't know how well that would work.
Those are boot able from the BIOS or the newer UFEI or whatever they are called now. The main thing to worry about is the USB port. Which for Hard Drives most will do.

If you don't know how to change the boot order there are plenty of material online on each manufacturer's system. So you can search... "(insert who ever made your laptop) changing boot order" or something to that effect. It's not that hard to change boot order once you get the hang of it honestly.

if you are beginner and don't care about boot up speed, you could just install it on a usb or sdcard drive. I use a few distros this way.

Members online