Laptop For Online PC Games

If you intend to run Linux and play games, be carful what hardware you get. On a desktop machine, graphics cards and drivers are all fine, but on some laptops that have dual graphics cards, one integrated and one discreet chip for gaming, Linux struggles. Chipset manufacturers have not released specs for to handle the chipset switching technology, and haven't released drivers themselves to handle it. There are workarounds but they are clumsy and time consuming to set up. If you have to play games on a laptop, I would suggest finding one that has discreet graphics only. There are some around.

Nvidia Optimus cards are working fine on Linux. I have written a couple of tutorials on how to set them up on Debian based systems. Ati discrete graphics can be a problem still, but not Nvidia. Just install Bumblebee, the Bumblebee indicator, and the latest Nvidia drivers and you should be good.

Whatever hardware you purchase but if you are looking f0r a gaming pc than Dell is the best of all...i am a gaming freak and almost spend 7 to 8 hours of gaming on my Dell..but this machine seems to be uncrackable.

Nvidia Optimus cards are working fine on Linux. I have written a couple of tutorials on how to set them up on Debian based systems. Ati discrete graphics can be a problem still, but not Nvidia. Just install Bumblebee, the Bumblebee indicator, and the latest Nvidia drivers and you should be good.

That's awesome to hear and a tutorial is a great contib. Would you link to it here for all that might be interested.

That's awesome to hear and a tutorial is a great contib. Would you link to it here for all that might be interested.
I would love to. I tried to put my tutorial in the tutorial section of this forum but was not allowed. :( No idea why. Anyway, here is my tutorial if you want to look at it. Most of this may not be needed. But I put it in there because some users ran into bus id issues.
Install Bumblebee 3.2, and Bumblebee indicator on 13.04
If you are a Cuda user, this works great with it. Just use Optirun.
file.php

Well I am running an Asus G75vw with Ubuntu 13.10 on it gnome and I run Steam under it, plays games great, I pulled win7 off of it and ran Ubuntu on it since I was too lazy to install gentoo on it but I have zero complaints, running Counter Strike Source with everything on High pulls a decent 110 FPS on average.

HTH,
Charlie

I suggest something with a nice video card, somewhere between a 1GB to 2GB size. Also, if you are playing a 3D game, try getting at least 4GB of RAM.( 8 is a better idea though. :) ) For a processor, something around above 2GHz is a good option, and aim for a quad core processor, not a dual core. Lenovo laptops do fairly well at a decent price, I would reccomend looking into one of their higher end models. ( y510p for example, too bad I don't have one! http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/

Members online

Latest posts