Laptop for Linux - Budget $800

lesdelc

Reaction score
Credits
I read thru this forum and found it informative. I will be buying a laptop for Linux. My Distro choice is Manjaro Cinnamon. I will be using LibreOffice and will be writing a book and doing Libre Impress presentations. My budget is $800. The computer store near my residence has mostly Asus laptops. Some Lenovo and Acer laptops. Any suggestions?

G'day @lesdelc and welcome to linux.org :)

I am going to carve off your Post and place it in a separate Thread of your own, as this Thread is, for the most part, nearly 7 years old, and not current.

Above done - Wizard

Good luck

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Last edited:
Great idea with moving it to a new thread. Hopefully, I will get a few replies before making this purchase.

I just bought a sweet Dell Precision 4800 with 32 GB RAM the 4930MX Extreme CPU and a 256 GB SSD all for 460 delivered. I've installed Mint with no issues. I like the Dell's as they can dock with peripherals keyboard mouse and multiple displays. Then you can undock and be on the move.

Just my two cents...good luck!

I agree with Mint-Me:Irecently bought a used Dell with i5,dual core;it had no problem running a 32" monitor and sound system.I used it as a media center for several months.Everything works fine on Ubuntu 18.04 and other derivative distros.I expect a brand new Dell would be fine.They do offer some "linux optimized" models,and even some with Linux pre-loaded,but you have to order these on line(at least in Canada).

Great price on the Dell and super charged.

I agree with Mint-Me:Irecently bought a used Dell with i5,dual core;it had no problem running a 32" monitor and sound system.I used it as a media center for several months.Everything works fine on Ubuntu 18.04 and other derivative distros.I expect a brand new Dell would be fine.They do offer some "linux optimized" models,and even some with Linux pre-loaded,but you have to order these on line(at least in Canada).

I want to buy the laptop locally to support the community. I may choose an Asus or Lenovo. Best Buy has several Dell laptops will have to check it tomorrow. I expect to make my purchase tomorrow.

I'd stay away from HP and Lenovo as both have proven to be a problematic PITA POS in my personal experience.

I'd go Dell.

I would be interested to learn how Lenovo has been problematic.

The Lenovo Thinkpad is almost iconic among Linux developers.

I use a lenovo Thinkpad T430 and it runs ubuntu 19.04 very well. people complain about bios problems but for me there were none. just takes a bit of work to boot the usb.

Wherever did my 2 good sense go..... anyway, I am working through a few wrinkles, but I am well under that 800 budget with a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 and I am quite pleased with it.

Started with-
  • X220-4291VLP Mfr Mar 2012 ( 130.00 )
  • i5-2540M 2.6GHz
  • bios 1.34
  • 4 GB ram slot 1
  • 320GB hdd 7200rpm
  • Win10 Pro OS
  • Centrino N 6205 wireless
  • 29+ 6cell ( Toasted, 100% > 0% in less than 5 minutes )
  • Lenovo 90 watt power adapter

Current upgrades-
  • Bios 1.46 modified
  • 16GB (8GBx2) 1866 ( 97.00 )
  • 500GB SATA III Win 10 Pro OS (79.00)
  • 250GB SATA III Linux Mint 19.1 xfce ( in spare caddy for caddy pull and swap )
  • mSata 250GB ( 68.00 )
  • 44++ 9 Cell ( 67.00 )
  • Ultrabase 3 dock ( 25.00 )
  • AC 7260 BT wireless card( 17.00 )
  • original 320GB hdd ( for backup/storage )in caddy that will swap out with optical dvd in ultrabase3 dock.
  • USB 3.0 Express card. ( 9.00 )
  • Dual monitors hooked up to ultrabase3 Dock.
The amounts listed are USD, and if used all my fingers and toes and counted correctly, looks like just under $ 500.00.
The extra drives and 8GBX2 memory kit could have been omitted and maybe just added a 4gb stick.
But it has been a elluva lot a fun here at the Tinkertown Garage.

Long story even longer, - This Lenovo Thinkpad likes Mint 19.1xfce, and would handle word documents and presentations. ( Except careful with using extensions for your vga cable. Mint did not like that on mine )
It is zippy, plenty of storage space, and well within budget.
Good Luck on your Quest lesdelc !

store near my residence has mostly Asus laptops. Some Lenovo and Acer laptops.

Good to buy local, but with reservations.

All three brands mentioned comprise a number of our questions from Members, but I have not checked Dell yet.
I would be interested to learn how Lenovo has been problematic.

Search "lenovo install" here (4 pages, not all problems), or

Google

"linux Lenovo problems"

... but you could substitute a number of other brands as well.

Welcome to linux.org, @lesdelc :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I'd stay away from HP and Lenovo as both have proven to be a problematic PITA POS in my personal experience.

I'd go Dell.

After doing some research and checking out uTube. I blew my budget of $800 and went with a Lenovo T480 configured to what I wanted. The Lenovo T480 is Linux certified. Watched several video reviews at uTube.

Linux Laptop - Best Lenovo ThinkPads

Linux Journal Editors: "The Lenovo ThinkPad models from the T series are relatively inexpensive, durably built, and the driver support in Linux is very good. Wireless and wired network support, video and sound work well with most recent distributions out there. These laptops run solidly for years and perform very well."

I hope to have the laptop in a few days.

After doing some research and checking out uTube. I blew my budget of $800 and went with a Lenovo T480 configured to what I wanted. The Lenovo T480 is Linux certified. Watched several video reviews at uTube.

Linux Laptop - Best Lenovo ThinkPads

Linux Journal Editors: "The Lenovo ThinkPad models from the T series are relatively inexpensive, durably built, and the driver support in Linux is very good. Wireless and wired network support, video and sound work well with most recent distributions out there. These laptops run solidly for years and perform very well."

Super Duper!

The important thing is to buy what will do whatever tasks you are needing to do.

Enjoy your new computer. :)

I read thru this forum and found it informative. I will be buying a laptop for Linux. My Distro choice is Manjaro Cinnamon. I will be using LibreOffice and will be writing a book and doing Libre Impress presentations. My budget is $800. The computer store near my residence has mostly Asus laptops. Some Lenovo and Acer laptops. Any suggestions?

If it's not personal, I want to ask why to want to but Linux laptop. Becasue in the same budget, you can buy very efficient windows pc.

I just bought an Asus netbook from Walmart for under $300. It came with Win 10 installed which I immediately deleted and installed Linux Mint 19.2 Tina. Everything works beautifully. Have not experienced any problem whatever. Another plus is that the screen is dull, not shiny.

Well my purchase really is embarrassing its from Argos : HP stream 14 inch 64 Gig
it came with Windows 10 but i wiped that
description: CPU
product: AMD A4-9125 RADEON R3, 4 COMPUTE CORES 2C+2G
vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD]
4 Gig ram. But it is to take to Africa
I'm running Slackware 64 Bit current and its ok for my requirements

If it's not personal, I want to ask why to want to but Linux laptop. Becasue in the same budget, you can buy very efficient windows pc.
@millardleininger Some people don't like Microsoft's proprietary software and EULA. ;) For what he wants to use this for, I would much prefer a linux distro. Even on my Windows desktop I find myself booting into Ubuntu for website coding just because I like the feel of working on Ubuntu over Windows.

I am Super interested in your review of the T480 and the specs of the unit you get, and what os you run on it. I have a future target for that laptop if it performs as well or better that the souped up T430, and T440p. I look forward to and review you care to share.
Thanks

Members online