Laptop Dual Boot Win 10/ Linux Mint 19.1xfce Bios Flash Issue

Eugor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
Not sure where to post this. I do not have sufficient privilege to post in the laptop topic.

Lenovo Ideapad 330
Removed hdd, replaced w/ssd
Able to manipulate bios boot order etc
Installed Win 10/ and Mint 19.1xfce
After Mint install, typical dual boot interface at start up to choose os
Everything working well in both os
Updated and Adjusted all settings in both os.
Works great ! Even for a lame spec machine.
And then, I bumped my head. I did not listen to that tiny voice.
While in Win 10 i was prompted by lenovo tool for bios update.
After Bios Flash, after much ado, I was able to finally get back in and set boot priority to legacy first instead of uefi pxe network, but thats about it.
It now will boot into mint, but does so directly without grub interface. I assume win 10 os is still available.
I have used a few different linux distro's over the years, but as a gui user. I am not savy in the terminal.
I can usually follow verbose command line instructions, but that's about it in the terminal.
How do I reinstall grub at this point ?

First and most important - Windows and Linux must be on separate storage devices. If they're on the same SSD/HDD, the following steps won't matter.

After making sure they're on different devices, check this about Windows 10 (scroll down the page a bit to find Windows 10) how to disable Secure Boot.
When you disable Secure Boot (that thing screws up GRUB), run a live environment of Mint (or Ubuntu, if you like - doesn't really matter cuz Mint is based on Ubuntu) and run the commands described in this page:
https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd

First and most important - Windows and Linux must be on separate storage devices. If they're on the same SSD/HDD, the following steps won't matter.

After making sure they're on different devices, check this about Windows 10 (scroll down the page a bit to find Windows 10) how to disable Secure Boot.
When you disable Secure Boot (that thing screws up GRUB), run a live environment of Mint (or Ubuntu, if you like - doesn't really matter cuz Mint is based on Ubuntu) and run the commands described in this page:
https://howtoubuntu.org/how-to-repair-restore-reinstall-grub-2-with-a-ubuntu-live-cd
rado84,
"Windows and Linux must be on separate storage devices" This is not the situation I currently have. Should I find myself in this situation I will reflect on this information. Thank You for your response

rado84,
"Windows and Linux must be on separate storage devices" This is not the situation I currently have. Should I find myself in this situation I will reflect on this information. Thank You for your response
Still, do what I said after. And it seems the first link didn't make it into the post, so here it is:
https://www.appgeeker.com/recovery/disable-uefi-secure-boot-in-windows-10.html
And after that:

How do I reinstall grub at this point ?
Greetings @Eugor, and welcome! Grub is installed and working since you are booting into Linux Mint. But it does seem to have lost track of your Windows installation. As a very simple first step, I think I would run this terminal command to see if it will find Windows again automatically. Restart the computer after running the command.
Code:
sudo update-grub

If that fails, take a look at this page that explains how to change the grub configuration. The configuration changes I would look for are to put a # symbol at the beginning of the lines that say HIDDEN in them, and to change the GRUB TIMEOUT=10 if it is not already. Nano is a good editor to make these changes, and you have to use CTRL-O (Write Out) to save the file, then CTRL-X to exit Nano. After making any changes to the grub configuration, you have to run sudo update-grub again, then reboot.

Good luck!

atanere,
Thank You for the Welcome greeting, and for the tools I was looking for.
sudo update-grub
Fixed the problem ! I also want to thank you for the "if that fails..." information. I have been wanting to learn how to edit grub configuration and change the default os. Bonus !
I see there is a collection of tutorials here at linux.org, time for me to dive in and get knee deep in the learning. Thanks again.

G'day Eugor, and Welcome to Linux.org

I note that our @atanere has struck again !!!

Another happy customer...!!

Love your 'knee deep" in learning mindset .

Happy to hear the simple fix worked for you. :D

And many thanks to you for upgrading to a paid membership! We are all volunteers here, and our admin @Rob definitely appreciates the help to defray the costs of maintaining the site.

Cheers

My Goodness, I had not noticed the Gold ... welcome @Eugor :):)

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

If you get a chance, swing over to https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/ ... meet a few of The Gang and tell us a little of the Eugor story :p

BTW for Eugor and for The Viewers - the article Stan (@atanere ) linked to written in 2014 and updated July 2017 - the command gksu has now been deprecated (made obsolete) but you can replace it with "sudo". That is when using GUI-based Text Editors such as gedit, pluma, leafpad and the like.

If you use the console-based Text Editor nano, you can't go wrong.

Cheers all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank You all for the warm welcome. Don't much care for the gold banner, but, time, and education, are worth money to me. I saved time by the answers found here, and I have been itching to learn how to use the black box for years. And it looks like there it quite a bit of education to be learned here. i am not going to say it too loudly, but, at the gold monthly amount, I think I am getting the better end of the deal. And of course Wizard, where are my manners, I will head over to member introductions and share what few boring details there are of the Eugor story.

..... I see there is a collection of tutorials here at linux.org, time for me to dive in and get knee deep in the learning. Thanks again.

"Knee deep" - I for one am usually in over my head whenever I dive in to the Linux learning! LOL :) - o_O

Members online

Latest posts