KVM switch will not output video on linux mint

Frank Wiles

Reaction score
Credits
Alright I actually have to small computers set up for use with one monitor. one is a windows (that's the wife's) and mine which is my MSI Cubi Pro with linux mint on it. I purchased a KVM switch so I did not have to break out a second keyboard and mouse and to also leave monitor on same input. it will not display video from the display port through the KVM Switch. Directly from the display port to monitor it will work fine. any suggestions for using the KVM?

Which KVM? Some are said to be Linux compatible. Others are not.

If everything works when bypassing the KVM switch than I'd have to say bad switch.

All of my KVM switches are of the manual type to switch from Computer A to Computer B always work old school technology.

If your KVM switch is one that switches electronically than it could still be a bad switch or possibly an incapability issue with Linux.

My 0.02 cents

company name is StarTech Model number is SV211DPUA. It is a display port model.

@poorguy, I have the HDMI plugged into its port on the monitor and change monitor inputs. I can change the keyboard and mouse. I might be a compatibility issue, I just want to put this out there and let the community help if it can before I buy a different one.

If you're using HDMI output, it's unlikely that it's a compatibility issue (but nothing's impossible). Because at the point it's leaving the video card, it's just video signal. Compatibility issues would likely only rise if you needed to install something on your computer to make the switch work.
To rule everything out, unplug the cables from your wife's computer and plug them into your computer. This way, you're using everything your wife is using (cables, connectors, same button on switch). Another possibility is that your output is out of range. The switch may only support up to 1280x1024 but you're card is set to 1920x1080. This is unlikely as well since the switch supports HDMI, but you never know.

Swapped mine to hers, and hers to mine. Still same only windows machine will still work correctly. I guess it must just be a compatibility issue.

Members online

Latest posts