Kubuntu 13.10 Acer Aspire 3680 no wireless

U

URDRWHO

Pulled my wifes old Acer out and installed Kubntu. It works fine except I can't get wireless to work.

Of course as always good old Knoppix can use wireless but Kubuntu can't do it. Urg.

While on ethernet cable I installed b43-fcutter. I tried to use b43-fcutter and it found the broadcom additional driver. It didn't seem to want to install the drivers, it just sat there thinking.

Thinking of doing a HDD install of Knoppix.

Last edited:

I'll get back to you. I tried so many things that I felt the system was too messed up to continue so I am doing a clean install. Should take about 15 minutes and then I'll post the return.

If I remember it is a broadcom 4311 or something like that??????

What is the output from: lspci | grep -i wireless

With the full command line I get nothing....no return lines

If I just do lspci I get a lot of info and this that may be of value.

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 14)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
0a:09.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCIxx12 Cardbus Controller
0a:09.2 Mass storage controller: Texas Instruments 5-in-1 Multimedia Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO/xD)

I now have a broadcom driver to install located in additional drivers but it won't install. It leaves a message in the Jockey.log.

2014-03-18 17:11:47,909 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: enabled, b43legacy: enabled
2014-03-18 17:11:47,928 DEBUG: BroadcomWLHandler enabled(): kmod disabled, bcm43xx: blacklisted, b43: enabled, b43legacy: enabled

How and why is the bcm43XX blacklisted?

Placed a # over the blacklisted 43xx and the driver installed. It said to reboot, I rebooted but still no wifi.

She'll want to use the laptop tonight so she will be using Knoppix live until I sort out Kubuntu. Knoppix 7.2 live CD doesn't have a problem connecting to wifi.

Tried to stay calm but I'm about to rant about this Unbuntu/Kubuntu constant problem with Broadcom. Man this is frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now it shows no drivers in the additional driver screen.

What is the output from: lspci | grep -i wireless

Last edited:
The BCM4311 device is supported by b43, refer to your other thread and do not make the mistake of installing wl / broadcom-sta if you don't need it.

You need to install firmware-b43-installer as per your other thread.

I was hoping you would come in on my little rant.

I tried to do the same thing I did to my HP, the one you told me to do but it isn't working.

I think I need to purge all Broadcom stuff and then go direct to the other link. I think that the broadcom-sta was the one in the additional drivers window.

My time is running thin until I hear the what the heck did you do to my computer.

The BCM4311 device is supported by b43, refer to your other thread and do not make the mistake of installing wl / broadcom-sta if you don't need it.

You need to install firmware-b43-installer as per your other thread.

Removing wl should be as simple as:

Code:
# apt-get purge broadcom-sta-dkms

Then install b43 firmware as you did in your other thread...

I'm not sure what I supposedly "did" to "your computer", you'll have to elaborate...

You didn't do anything to my computer. :)

What I meant was the suggestions that you gave to me, the suggestions I took and used that made my wifi work. The only thing you did was give a good path to follow. My typing wasn't communicating with my brain.

I'll purge, then install and report back. Wife unit has already found out that there is a problem.

Hm? I guess I didn't install the broadcom-sta because the purge command says it is not installed.

apt-get install firmware-b43-installer returns that firmware-b43-installer is already the newest version.

Removing wl should be as simple as:

Code:
# apt-get purge broadcom-sta-dkms

Then install b43 firmware as you did in your other thread...

I'm not sure what I supposedly "did" to "your computer", you'll have to elaborate...

Last edited:
Well if broadcom-sta / wl is installed this should work without errors and list the wl module
Code:
# modprobe -r wl ; modprobe wl && lsmod | grep wl
If it's not installed (what you want) there will be an error message about not finding the module in question.

If wl appears then it's still installed so search for anything broadcom related
Code:
$ aptitude search ~ibroadcom

I would also suggest purging and reinstalling firmware-b43-installer then post the output here.

Also try
Code:
# modprobe -r b43 ; modprobe b43
(unloads and loads b43 kernel module - and requesting firmware)

And post outputs of
Code:
# rfkill list
Code:
$ iwconfig
Code:
# ifconfig -a
Code:
$ iwlist scan

here are the answers --

Well if broadcom-sta / wl is installed this should work without errors and list the wl module
Code:
# modprobe -r wl ; modprobe wl && lsmod | grep wl
If it's not installed (what you want) there will be an error message about not finding the module in question.

If wl appears then it's still installed so search for anything broadcom related
Code:

I would also suggest purging and reinstalling firmware-b43-installer then post the output here.

Also try
Code:
# modprobe -r b43 ; modprobe b43
(unloads and loads b43 kernel module - and requesting firmware)

And post outputs of
Code:
# rfkill list
Code:
$ iwconfig
Code:
# ifconfig -a
Code:
$ iwlist scan

Attachments

• answers to comands.txt
    2 KB · Views: 944
For now I've done a Knoppix HDD install for her and it works fine on Wifi BUT ---
at a later date I would like to get Kubuntu working on it. Knoppix takes a minimum of 12 gig to install and will not install with another 1 gig swap.

Everything but the kitchen sink is installed -- a lot of games, many different apps, etc. What I will eventually hear from my wife is that the system is confusing.

Plus updates to Knoppix are probably very few and far between.

I still would appreciate any ideas about getting Kubuntu wifi running on her Acer.

I was REALLY happy with the wifi help to get my HP going on wifi.

Since Wifi is working on Knoppix I may keep this blacklist in mind for Kubuntu

# modprobe blacklist for KNOPPIX

# HP Mini 110 PC wifi w/wl.ko breaks if ssb is loaded,
# but b43* requires ssb
# blacklist ssb

# if b43* are used, wl.ko should NOT be auto-loaded
blacklist wl

# graphics/KMS drivers should not get autoloaded by udev
blacklist nvidia
blacklist nouveau
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist intelfb
blacklist mbp_nvidia_bl.ko
blacklist rivafb
blacklist i915
blacklist radeon
# cirrus with KMS stopped working with xserver-xorg-video-cirrus 1.12.4
# and xserver-xorg-video-modesetting doesn't work with cirrus in KVM either
blacklist cirrus

# This file blacklists most old-style PCI framebuffer drivers.

blacklist arkfb
blacklist aty128fb
blacklist atyfb
blacklist radeonfb
blacklist cirrusfb
blacklist cyber2000fb
blacklist gx1fb
blacklist gxfb
blacklist kyrofb
blacklist matroxfb_base
blacklist mb862xxfb
blacklist neofb
blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist pm2fb
blacklist pm3fb
blacklist s3fb
blacklist savagefb
blacklist sisfb
blacklist tdfxfb
blacklist tridentfb
blacklist viafb
blacklist vt8623fb

Last edited:
From your attached file:
Code:
sudo rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no
Soft blocked - so it could be a conflict

Code:
sudo modprobe -r wl ; modprobe wl && lsmod | grep wl

FATAL: Module wl is in use.
wl / broadcom-sta was already installed and loaded.

wl is loaded and has claimed the device. Two drivers cannot claim the same device - wl and b43/ssb conflict.

If you try again, do not install the broadcom driver - for future reference, in 'buntu that appears to be the packages:

broadcom-sta-common
broadcom-sta-source
broadcom-sta-dkms

If those were installed, then
Code:
would have shown...

So presumably you had built and installed the driver from source?

I don't remember installing from source but if it was after midnight....who knows.

I went to the package manager in Knoppix and did a search using Broadcom and here is what is installed using that search and with this set-up wifi is working.

b3-fwcutter --- version 1.015
Frimware - bnx2 - version .36 wheezy
firmware - bnx2x - version - .36 wheezy
firmare - brcm80211 - version .36 wheezy
firmware - linux-nonFree
l.bcrystalhd3

May attempt another install today or tomorrow and I will use your suggestions.

From your attached file:
Code:
sudo rfkill list
0: acer-wireless: Wireless LAN
        Soft blocked: yes
        Hard blocked: no
Soft blocked - so it could be a conflict

Code:
sudo modprobe -r wl ; modprobe wl && lsmod | grep wl

FATAL: Module wl is in use.
wl / broadcom-sta was already installed and loaded.

wl is loaded and has claimed the device. Two drivers cannot claim the same device - wl and b43/ssb conflict.

If you try again, do not install the broadcom driver - for future reference, in 'buntu that appears to be the packages:

broadcom-sta-common
broadcom-sta-source
broadcom-sta-dkms

If those were installed, then
Code:
would have shown...

So presumably you had built and installed the driver from source?

Last edited:
Your knoppix install (based on Debian Wheezy) is working because you have the b43 driver (and firmware) in use.

True...yes true.

I'm wondering how can I get the b43 driver to work on a Kubuntu live CD? Maybe ya can't.

Your knoppix install (based on Debian Wheezy) is working because you have the b43 driver (and firmware) in use.

Before getting too many things set-up in Knoppix, I am in the process of installing Kubuntu again.

Before doing anything I'll give the command
# apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

Now this is odd, I am getting a message - unable to locate package firmware-b43-installer

Last edited:
Oh boy --- eating pride on this one but what is repo, do "apt-get update". Is that the exact command line? I know what apt-get update is but repo, do is new to me.

If it is the entire command line, I copied it and it didn't do anything.

If I go to the package manager I see firmwarre-b43-installer is there and can be installed. I am guessing that is the one but I wonder why it won't install by command line?

Should I install it from the package manager. I'm not going to do it until I hear that it is ok.

Sorry to be an old noob.

Hm? I just tried it again and it is installing. Now the question will be ---- do I have wireless?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/firmware-b43-installer

It exists.

Enable the "multiverse" repo, do "apt-get update", then ry again...

Last edited:
Oh boy --- eating pride on this one but what is repo, do "apt-get update". Is that the exact command line? I know what apt-get update is but repo, do is new to me.

If it is the entire command line, I copied it and it didn't do anything.

Sorry to be an old noob.
Those are two commands:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu $(lsb_release -sc) main universe restricted multiverse"
Code:
sudo apt-get update

Members online

Latest posts