Kodachi. Experience....Anyone?....Comments?.....Pros, Cons, .....?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

I've never tried that one, but it looks interesting on paper. Did you watch the video of the author introducing himself and giving his backstory ("whoami") on your link? Check out any reviews on DistroWatch or other places? I've tried Tails before and it doesn't really strike my fancy, and I am guessing the Kodachi might fall into the same category. But I'll be happy to give it a spin on USB if you want to do some comparisons.

Support for Xubuntu 18.04.5 ends in about a month and a half. Only Ubuntu has the extended support. The official flavors all end at the 3 year mark.

So, at that point *certain parts* of the OS will no longer be updated - even for security fixes. The underlying OS *might* update for 2 more years. I say might, because nobody seems to know at this time. It's assumed that there won't be any system check and that apt will happily continue updating the Ubuntu-specific bits.

I have not tried it myself...I watched the video....the os appears to have been around for a while,...approx 7 years.....so either it does as it says it does, or the guy owning it has deep pockets.
....and a deep desire to see this thing succeed.

HERE is the blurb from DistroWatch.com

Big download ((3,111MB)....3GB !!....which probably works out to 6GB+ when installed.

The latest update/release was 18th October, 2020
Warith Al Maawali has announced the release of Linux Kodachi 7.3, the latest stable build of the project's privacy-focused Linux distribution (with VPN, Tor and DNSCrypt) based on Xubuntu and featuring a highly customised Xfce desktop. Besides fixing some reported bugs, this release also upgrades the Linux kernel to version 5.8, upgrades the underlying system to Xubuntu 18.04.5 and updates Tor and LibreOffice (version 7.0.2rc2). From the changelog: "Linux kernel upgrade from 5.4 to 5.8; full system update from Xubuntu 18.04 to Xubuntu 18.04.5 LTS; added Demonsaw (an encrypted communications platform for chatting, messaging and transferring files without fear of data collection or surveillance); fixed Tor browser issue; fixed SSH key generation; Conky performance fixed; menu bug fixed; VPN configuration files updated; MyMonero, Electron, Wire, Xnview, Veracrypt, Session messenger and full system update done; replaced Nano with Ublock Origin on browsers; removed online installer as it caused issues when live image is too old." Download: kodachi-7.3-64.iso (3,111MB, SHA512, signature, pkglist).

Interesting!

Found this article on DDG. www.itigic.com/kodachi-linux-distro-focused-on-security-and-anonymity/
You can check out the link above for desktop screenshots.
Source code: www.github.com/WMAL/kodachi/

Update: I already try this distro on live USB.
Features:
Only Kodachi VPN is free. You need to setup Mullvad VPN first if you want to use that.
Synaptic package manager is included.
Update from Ubuntu servers. Some PPAs are included by default. (See attachment).
Ubuntu software center is not included.
Maybe can install from .deb files and launchpad, because it is based on Ubuntu. But I didn't try this on USB.

What impressed me:
I can choose the TOR exit node. Which country like Germany, Swiss, etc.
I can turn off all VPN and TOR if I want to.
When I run the DNS Leak Test, it returns lots of different IPs worldwide, none of them is my real IP. (See attachment for the result).

Extensions on Kodachi Loaded browser (based on Firefox):
trace tracking protection
switchy omega tor
font fingerprint defender
webgl fingerprint defender
adnauseam
ublock origin
cookie autodelete
librejs
css exfil protection
user agent switcher
random user agent
bloody vikings
myki password manager authenticator
ip location lookup

Attachments

• dnsleaktestresults.png
    dnsleaktestresults.png
    157.3 KB · Views: 810
  • list-of-ppas.png
    list-of-ppas.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 774
Last edited:
Update: March 6, 2021.
I decided to install Kodachi Linux on another partition of my PC.

System requirements (from the FAQ page):
2GB RAM, 30GB hard disk space.

Installation process:
This program works on Ventoy. The setup process is similar to Ubuntu.
But, I need to use kodachi and r@@t00 as the username and password as being explained on the Kodachi installation page.

The creator also tells his social media profiles during the installation in case you need support.
Twitter: warith2020
Linkedin: warith1977
Youtube: TechandcryptoVibes

I login into Kodachi Linux for the first time and the system reboot automatically. Then I log in again for the second time and change the password from r@@t00 to the password that I prefer.
I also disable all TOR and VPN connections in case I need to use Google. From my experience, Google and Cloudflare will block the visitors from the TOR network with captcha code.

I can encrypt the home folder, but with works:
Kodachi doesn't encrypt the home/kodachi folder during installation. Therefore, I follow this guide to encrypt the home folder.
I encounter a few errors during the encryption process, but I manage to solve them by copying the error message from the terminal, paste into Google, and search.

No Ubuntu software center, but I can install it with the command line:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt install gnome-software

I can retain all my favorite software from Ubuntu:
These installation methods work on Kodachi, just like on Ubuntu: app image, .deb file, PPA, Synaptic package manager, and Ubuntu software center.
I install Cryptomator, MegaSync, Nextcloud Desktop Client, Grub Customizer, Brave browser, Keepass 2, Bitwarden, and Authy. All of them work on Kodachi Linux.

The main menu:
It is located at the bottom left of the screen. (See the attachment)

Cairo Dock:
This is the dock at the bottom. You can add more software to it by dragging any software from the main menu into the dock. (See the attachment)

Connection to TOR:
You have the option to connect VPN and then TOR or connect to TOR directly without VPN. You can also choose the TOR exit node or exclude certain countries as your exit node.

Connection to VPN:
Kodachi VPN is free and run by the owner himself (More details here). If you have an account with HideMe, Mullvad, ProtonVPN or VPNGate, you can setup the VPN manually.

What I like:
- The fact it comes with DNSCrypt, TOR DNS.
- The ability to connect into the TOR network, exclude 14 eyes countries as the TOR exit node.
- Lots of options on the connections like VPN > TOR, or TOR without VPN or disable all of them.
- I can retain all my favorite software from Ubuntu.

What I don't like (but just minor issues for me):
- It takes time to navigate the desktop panels and getting used to it.
- If I choose to connect via TOR or VPN, it takes a few minutes to get connected. But usually less than 5 minutes.

I think I'll keep this OS for a while as my second OS.

Attachments

• mc-desktop-screenshot.png
    mc-desktop-screenshot.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 1,354
Last edited:

Been using it (along with TAILS) to explore the Darknet for nearly a year I'd guess. I like both, for different reasons, but Kodachi is my favorite. TAILS is more for them that need an OS to stick a bottle in their mouth, burp them, change the diaper, and put them to bed. Pretty much ready to go from the time you stick it in the optical drive. No configurations needed, nor advisable.

Kodachi is imminently configurable, and does take some time to dig into. One old idiot reviewer on Youtube kept crying that the desktop was "too busy!", meaning there are a lot of options to look through, which I found facinating to explore. Kodachi allows using a VPN to connect to TOR, which prevents the ISP from knowing that you are using it. It also allows use of an alternative to TOR (Freenet? I2P?) that I've not tried. Neither TAILS nor Kodachi is intended for install, as that defeats the security of no persistance, but both can be installed. I only run them in LiveCD mode.

More info:

Last edited:
AILS is more for them that need an OS to stick a bottle in their mouth, burp them, change the diaper, and put them to bed
Excuse the necroposting, but I couldn't help thinking "Oh, OK, l33t!" lol Yes, it's designed to be used by reporters (and I guess that includes bloggers and vloggers) for example, who don't want to learn a whole new operating system, but would learn free practical things like LibreOffice. Mainly Tor, of course. You did "get" that configurations are not advised, partly because that does pose obscure, but possible, security vulnerabilities. I'd compare it to TinFoilSec's Sn3rpOs (yes, it's leetspeak for SharpOS), which has been dormant almost over a year now. I haven't use either very much. I'm not in CompSec, and for security's sake I'd rather go with time-tested and meant-to-be-installed ParrotOS. All three are better than Kali, which deliberately set out to monopolize the CompSec education sector. In a sense they're M$ of their own little world, and as someone who cut their teeth on Windows 3.1 on DR-DOS, I don't like that approach!

It reminds me of Tails. The Kodachi webpage link in the original post above has a comparison of features between Kodachi and Tails. I have used Tails in the past, but never tried Kodachi.

Well those Canadian Teuckers sure could of used something like Kodachi properly setup and used. Along with Grap_hineOS Goog phone. Which probably would take 3 to 6 months to “know how to use” properly security wise like 30 min one day, 1 hour 2 days later, 30 min 4 days later…

However Kodachi is Severely Bloated.

I think creator is a smart guy and people should donate a few bucks if they can, excellent concept, more if they can to push make it Much more Compact.
Then it would be Amazing in 9 months to 2 years.

It’s a great concept and I used it for a little bit off and on right before that Totalitarian fiasco ( saw enough videos on it, but really way after when they investigated it, was on YTube ). But just did it for fun & had no idea what I was doing.
If they were not also using something like a Goog Pxel phone with Grap_heneOS for about 1-6 months and again understand the security in that time. All depends if get older phone and get established rom. Or get new phone with beta rom, just timing. But need many, many people to use that custom privacy OS or your all kind of F’d.

Am I alone using EasyOS here ?
I use its containerized Chrome + VPN extension, and its amnesiac 'Do not save' button - and that's 'Like a Virgin' again.
The Limine bootloader also makes multibooting extremely easy.

Slightly off topic...but I found following the "install" instructions for easyos, seriously off putting.
Apart from that...on the occasion I managed to get it to boot, it was Very interesting !!
I must have been holding my mouth wrong.....

easyos, sorted
despite the destructions on their web page...I used the linux create a bootable usb....and now all is good
Writing from it now. It is certainly of interest ! Amazingly fast.

Tarnation, now I want to take a look... haven't got very many distros.

What did you burn it with Bro'?

I am in LM21.1
Right clicked on file and chose 'make bootable USB stick

Super easy !

dd if=easy...img of=/dev/yourusb bs=4M

I don't know why people use bs= 1M or less, which is slow.

Members online