SOLVED: Kill command confusing

Linuxminthelp

Reaction score
Credits
So I got a VPN with the kill switch on and the VPN is malfunctioning and won't start. So my internet is cut off now because I can't even get to turn off the VPN kill switch.

I want to use the kill command to end this. When I do kill -l like the man page, its gobblegook

It would also help is the name of the VPN you are using - for example to turn the VPN Kill switch off in Nord VPN open the terminal and type in
Code:
nordvpn set killswitch off

It would also help is the name of the VPN you are using - for example to turn the VPN Kill switch off in Nord VPN open the terminal and type in
Code:
nordvpn set killswitch off
Ivpn . the error is:

Failed to connect to service. Failed to connect to ivpn daemon. (Does ivpn daemon/service running?) Dial TCP 36649: connect: connection refused. Please restart 'ivpn-service'

I tried:
Ivpn firewall
Kill ivpn
Ivpn disconnect

I think IVPN uses UFW Firewall by default, which is the default firewall on almost all Linux OS's you may need to allow the IVPN to pass through the UFW Firewall it may be blocking it so it won't connect - lets try disabling temporarily the UFW Firewall first and see it it connects
Code:
sudo ufw status
to see if it is running or not
Code:
sudo ufw disable
to turn off the firewall
Code:
sudo ufw enable
to turn on the firewall
Also you can install GUFW to get a GUI Frontend fot it which may be easier
Code:
sudo apt install gufw
on Ubuntu/Debian based OS's

If the UFW Firewall is blocking we can try the following to get it to pass through
Open the terminal and run
Code:
sudo ufw allow out on tun0 from any to any
sudo ufw allow in on tun0 from any to any
Now you will have to check the server - which you can get from here - https://www.ivpn.net/status/
I selected Australia for this example - au-nsw1.gw.ivpn.net - in the terminal run
Code:
nslookup au-nsw1.gw.ivpn.ne
The output will be the IP addresses, which you need to specify in the UFW exception rule:
Code:
sudo ufw allow out from any to resolved.ip.address.here
If you do not have or do not wish to use i.e. public DNS or the one provided by your ISP (skip this step if otherwise), update your hosts file accordingly:
Code:
echo "resolved.ip.address.here  au-nsw1.gw.ivpn.net" | sudo tee -a /etc/hosts

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great guide. Thanks for your help, however its telling me that the firewall is already disabled, both in terminal and gufw gui

I uninstalled the VPN via command line and internet is back.
Marked this thread as solved. Thanks guys

Members online