Keyboard not functional on boot

abhaya_jaiswal

Reaction score
Credits
I have "intel core i5" Laptop, on which I have installed Fedora 36 alongwith Windows. In windows, everything is works fine.
In Fedora, after boot, I observed that keyboard takes some time before it starts working. I noticed that in dmesg|grep keyboard, I get:-
[ 140.728173] input: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard as /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input101
Here the time stamp, strongly correlates with when the keyboard starts working. Sometime, keyboard is functional immediately, but sometime, it take minutes.

Please guide me on how can I resolve this issue.

I have noticed this issue/phenomena in following:-
Asus X441B Laptop and ubuntu 20
Asus X441B Laptop and ubuntu 21
HP dy-2095wm Laptop and ubuntu 20
HP dy-2095wm Laptop and ubuntu 21
HP dy-2095wm Laptop and Fedora 36 Kernel 6.0.11
HP dy-2095wm Laptop and Fedora 36 Kernel 6.0.12
HP dy-2095wm Laptop and Fedora 36 Kernel 6.0.15

> uname -a
Linux 2603-8081-2200-3000-0000-0000-0000-0005.res6.spectrum.com 6.0.15-200.fc36.x86_64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Dec 21 18:46:09 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Attachments

• dmesg_out.txt
    114 KB · Views: 215

G'day abhaya_jaiswal, Welcome to Linux.org

We could assume it is a 'kernel thing' or even a keyboard thing, seeing it is happening in so many OS's and two different makes (asus and hp)

First things first. Try another keyboard.

When I first installed Linux 2 years ago, my keyboard didn't work either. It was a cheapo Chinese Puju something piece of junk where shipping cost more than the lump of plastic I ordered and had US key layout (I'm from EU). Luckily I am stubborn, and I was that determined to have Linux on my PC that I went to buy myself a proper keyboard.

So what is the message I'm trying to convey? Don't always blame Linux.

I ran into a similar problem with an HP 15 dy4013dx laptop. Intel i5-1155G7. Came with win11 and I setup dual-boot. Turned off secure boot. Did a BIOS upgrade.

No keyboard issues with windows, of course. But on bootu-based, fedora, manjaro dists, the keyboard would not work at the login screen. Even tried changing login managers (to lightdm) and same thing. After a lot of looking around, I found that adding the kernel option "i8042.nopnp" fixes it. Not sure what HP is doing, but it has something to do with how they detect the keyboard.

Just passing it along.

abhaya_jaiswal wrote:
keyboard takes some time before it starts working

It's probably a bit more difficult to change a keyboard on a laptop than on a desktop.

Here are some kernel parameters (with their meanings) to try in addition to those mentioned in post #4, in particular the one calling "notimeout":

Code:
i8042.dumbkbd   [HW] Pretend that controller can only read data from
                              keyboard and cannot control its state
                              (Don't attempt to blink the leds)

i8042.nopnp     [HW] Don't use ACPIPnP / PnPBIOS to discover KBD/AUX
                              controllers

i8042.notimeout [HW] Ignore timeout condition signalled by controller

i8042.reset     [HW] Reset the controller during init, cleanup and
                              suspend-to-ram transitions, only during s2r
                              transitions, or never reset
                         Format: { 1 | Y | y | 0 | N | n }
                         1, Y, y: always reset controller
                         0, N, n: don't ever reset controller
                         Default: only on s2r transitions on x86; most other
                         architectures force reset to be always executed

i8042.unlock    [HW] Unlock (ignore) the keylock

i8042.kbdreset  [HW] Reset device connected to KBD port

Few weeks back, I bumped into Keyboard issue link and tried the recommendation "
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.dumbkbd"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet i8042.dumbkbd=1"
"

Now, my keyboard has been consistently working (no issues) except for the documented trade-off that LED in Caps-Lock button never turns ON :-( . But otherwise I am happy, as I am able to use my laptop without any issue.

Only surprising thing is to have such basic/simple bug in kernel for so many years (Bug 216473 was filed more than a decade ago)!!

it just amazes me as an extraordinary piece of work.

To touch on this...

People get right angry when their computer (or the internet) doesn't work exactly right.

I am not one of them.

Instead, I marvel that it works at all, and am amazed that it works as well as it does. I think the more one learns about what's really going on under the hood, the more one can appreciate how entirely unlikely it'd be for the darned thing to work to begin with.

To touch on this...

People get right angry when their computer (or the internet) doesn't work exactly right.

I am not one of them.

Instead, I marvel that it works at all, and am amazed that it works as well as it does. I think the more one learns about what's really going on under the hood, the more one can appreciate how entirely unlikely it'd be for the darned thing to work to begin with.
My thoughts exactly! I couldn't have put it better....

Most folks simply can't comprehend how horrendously complex the entire "back-end" of our inter-connected world really is.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Good Evening! I would like to personally thank you for this thread. I had this exact same issue with my keyboard on a 14-dq2XXX running Debian 11/12. I struggled with this for over a year and searching on Duck Duck Go / Google to no results. it just so happens I came across this post on Google and it really helped!

i opted to use this parameter first. I do not have my caps lock button working, but keyboard does work.
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i8042.dumbkbd"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rhgb quiet i8042.dumbkbd=1"

is there some command or internet reference I can look at to get a list of all kernal parameters with their acceptable values?

Last edited:
is there some command or internet reference I can look at to get a list of all kernal parameters with their acceptable values?

Probably better to start your own thread at General Linux Questions.

Welcome to linux.org

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Does not connect:

This site can’t be reached syst3mfailure.io refused to connect.​

and

Only surprising thing is to have such basic/simple bug in kernel for so many years (Bug 216473 was filed more than a decade ago)!!
""
Reported:2022-09-12 03:12

No, unfortunately things have changed since April the 9th 2023 and that site is no longer available. However the general point about some bugs having lasted a long time, is still a valid one. One can search online for long lasting bugs and find them. Here's a link to a discussion of a 24 year old bug:
which is accessible today :)

Members online