Keyboard layout wrong --- " and @

R

Rene Thomas

0 down vote favorite
I am using an NC-6220 Hewlett Packard keyboard with Linux Ubuntu 14.04 and to type the " and @ symbols I need to use the keys (plus shift) as though they were swapped round (eg. SHIFT+2 for @ and SHIFT+' for ") - what do I do to swap them back to the positions printed on the plastic?

It is OK for me to use because I am used to it, but if someone else is using my console, it is a headache for them and it is an accessibility issue to the 'net for folk who are not as computer-literate as me (not very computer-literate myself, actually !)

The "F" key isn't working either, but that's because it was glued back on with too much super-glue !!

I know I did something wrong when I set up the computer upon first installing Linux Ubuntu, and when I used the Guest Account the keys produce the right symbols.

I will give a million blessing points to anyone who can tell me, how I can assign specific characters to the keys on my keyboard.

:)

From what you've said, it sounds like you have set the incorrect keyboard layout at some point. I think you've set it to the US keyboard layout and you want the UK keyboard layout.

I'm not a Ubuntu/Unity user, but a quick bit of duckduckgo-fu yielded this:
http://www.wikihow.com/Change-Keyboard-Layout-in-Ubuntu
Which shows you how to add and select keyboard layouts from the GUI in Unity, which should solve your problem. You can also remove any unneeded layouts to prevent the keyboard layout from accidentally being switched again!