Kernel Update?

fx9

Reaction score
Credits
I just installed mint on a chromebook. no sound. Is a kernel update a possible solution?

It is using 5.4.0-131. I found a thread talking about a kernel update as a possible solution, but it did not confirm that it worked.

I've seen this question before but never felt comfortable answering it, simply because I lack the means to check the veracity. I do not own a Chromebook, nor do I expect to own one in the future.

In my quest for answers, I consistently find people linking to this page as a solution:

It looks simple enough, though you'll need root to create/edit the file. The contents of the file are there on the page. Worst case scenario, it shouldn't make it any worse than your current situation. So, if you'd like to give it a shot, there's that page with directions. Please do report if you succeed so that I can suggest it to others in the future, if you do in fact try it. It doesn't look dreadfully difficult.

The real problem here appears to be the chromebook

Thanks. I tried it, but it did not solve the issue.

Thanks for letting me know. I'm sure it works for some folks, as it's referenced quite often, but have no idea how universal it is - or if perhaps it is no longer valid.

*sighs*

Maybe one of these days I'll buy a Chromebook and see if I can learn more about it. I really don't have the free time for that.

If I fail without bricking it, I'll mail it to you. It would just be REALLY satisfying to turn this thing into a linux machine. To take a product with a death date to force you to buy another machine and put free open source software on it to be able to use it for years to come... Is there a better 'goodbye'? Looking at firmware updates as an option at the moment, but a little out of my depth.

G'day @fx9 - this one has me intrigued, but I am in the same category as David G. @KGIII , where he says

I do not own a Chromebook, nor do I expect to own one in the future.

Unlike him, I won't be thinking of buying one :)

BUT (and Wizard's but is seldom far behind him)

I can do a little brainstorming if you have the patience for it.

Help me first, by fast-tracking me.

I note that you have 50+ posts or more over the last 18 months, tell us a little about your home setup, vis-a-vis the following:
  1. Do you have Linux on another rig, and then is this the first time you have installed a LInux on the Chromebook?
  2. If so, which Linux?
  3. Has the Chromebook got Windows on it that needs safeguarding and if so, which version?
  4. Which version of Mint and also DE (desktop environment, eg Cinnamon, Xfce or MATE)
  5. Have you used Timeshift before?
  6. What sort of Media options does the Chromebook have for data transfer (if you have another rig) eg USB, optical (CD/DVD)?
With that information I may be able to help more.

No hurry, I have heaps to do

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online

Latest posts