kernel panic

garryjp

Reaction score
Credits
I m experiencing a kernel panic. I would like to know what a kernel panic is and what are the most common causes of kernel panics?

What steps to debug/collect data for further debugging in such an event.

Is it possible to trigger a kernel panic on purpose? Why would you do so

G'day garry, Welcome to Linux.org

Which Linux are you running?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic
KERNEL PANIC

causes: https://www.linux.org/threads/cant-install-linux.39594/#post-154572
  • Insufficient disk space
  • Incompatible kernel version
  • Missing initrd or initramfs file from the /boot directory.
  • Missing initramfs or initrd image from the updated kernel configuration in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
  • Incompletely installed kernel or system packages during the upgrade because of insufficient space.
  • Missing third-party modules from the initrd or initramfs image. The kernel or system package wasn’t fully installed during an update

Kernel panic is usually related to ....the kernel installed at the time

Has your pc done an update lately that installed a new kernel ?

G'day garry, Welcome to Linux.org

Which Linux are you running?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic
KERNEL PANIC

causes: https://www.linux.org/threads/cant-install-linux.39594/#post-154572
  • Insufficient disk space
  • Incompatible kernel version
  • Missing initrd or initramfs file from the /boot directory.
  • Missing initramfs or initrd image from the updated kernel configuration in /boot/grub/grub.conf.
  • Incompletely installed kernel or system packages during the upgrade because of insufficient space.
  • Missing third-party modules from the initrd or initramfs image. The kernel or system package wasn’t fully installed during an update

Kernel panic is usually related to ....the kernel installed at the time

Running Ubuntu..

which version?

It is a server, no recent update.

What steps to debug/collect data for further debugging in such an event.
I would like to know if Is it possible to trigger a kernel panic on purpose? Why would you do so

The main reason for a kernel to panic in my experience is that it cannot find a root filesystem to mount. If there's no functionable user root file system, it can't transfer or pivot from the small linux system in RAM that it creates in its first stage of booting, to the filesystem it's supposed to work with run by the user. It uses the initrd or initramfs in the temporary small linux system in RAM as an initial root filesystem, but then needs to pivot onto the user's root filesystem which is the one that becomes visible in the terminal when the user changes directory to root /. So, anything that disorders the initrd or initramfs will likely cause a kernel panic. Usually when this sort of kernel panic occurs, the kernel will print to the screen a message saying that it can't find a root file system. If that message does not appear, then it may or may not be that issue. The problem there is that the kernel has stopped and so it can't message everything about its own behaviour any more.

In the case of the OP's issue, I guess I'd be trying to make sure that the initramfs image is sound which I'd first do by recreating it with the appropriate tools provided by the distro. I'd check the memory with memtest86+. If the kernel panic has left a core dump then there are ways of debugging that, but it requires some advanced tools and knowledge.

As mentioned, there are many other possibilities implicated in a kernel panic, but I only have the experience that I've mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I've ever had this problem, sounds like a problem windwoes users know only too well. ;)

Can't say I've ever had this problem,
I have a couple of times, caused by a broken package, that was fixed by running "fix broken packages" from grub, and the other was a Kernel Panic --Time out that took longer to adjust some settings

Members online