Kernel Panic on older laptop

Doktorfrank

Reaction score
Credits
Hope to get some help from you Linux ORG members.
I am new to Linux and wanted to give my old laptop some new life but i have tried with a few different variances of linux without any success. For the most time th
linux_probl.jpg
e screen just freezes in the installation process. But the last time i got the message "kernel Panic". See attached photo of the screen.
I have windows 10 Pro installed with 3 partitions (2 with NTFS and one with Fat32) on an ASUS laptop with Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5850 2.16 GHz and 3gb RAM, 32bit operating system, x64-based processor.
I dont know what is going on when it just freezes and i have tried with both Linux 32bit and 64 bit versions. I will get rid of my windows installation and think i dont need to prepare any partition then? Hope to get some help. :O

i an see EISa in there which is an old bus and has slot on motherboard- not sure thats why you got kernel panic . I am 50% confident that its either a hardware or software problem! :^) Seriously i would approach it from a lateral thinking point of view.

if i had a bunch of likely distro to test i would just boot each one from a usb; the live OS is still going to use the hardware. This could be a pain but ventoy allows say if you have a 14 gig or more to place several .iso on stick and choose which one boot up. if one boots up ok then its a keeper. So what have you tried and what you haven't ?

Hi Captain, thanks for your fast reply. I dont know if it is hardware or software related but i have tried with Lubuntu, Mint Cinnamon, Linux Lite 4.6 and Ubuntu. And have tried both 64 and 32 bit versions. All except Lubuntu left me in black screen with no progress. Can recoment any other versions to try? Thank you so much :)

couple of others:

Hi Captain
Thanks for all you good advises. I will try them later. Yesterday i read a guide that said i had to allow windows subsystem. I cant find the link again. But is that right? I have tried again to install from an USB drive without any luck. Will try more next week. Would be nice if it was possible to do it directly from Windows. Was that what you suggested? Have a great weekend. And again thans for your help.

now thats useful if your journey int oLinux wants to be gentle. You can enable the W.S.L stil l keep windows 10 and play a little with linux command line via WSL. There is nothing to stop you wiping Windows

Hope to get some help from you Linux ORG members.
I am new to Linux and wanted to give my old laptop some new life but i have tried with a few different variances of linux without any success. For the most time thView attachment 6392e screen just freezes in the installation process. But the last time i got the message "kernel Panic". See attached photo of the screen.
I have windows 10 Pro installed with 3 partitions (2 with NTFS and one with Fat32) on an ASUS laptop with Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5850 2.16 GHz and 3gb RAM, 32bit operating system, x64-based processor.
I dont know what is going on when it just freezes and i have tried with both Linux 32bit and 64 bit versions. I will get rid of my windows installation and think i dont need to prepare any partition then? Hope to get some help. :O
That "EISA" bus seems to be very old technology and may be part of the problem.
I wonder if trying a Linux Distro designed for "older" hardware may help?
Something like EasyOS perhaps ( https://easyos.org/ ) . Try it from a "Live" USB.
Following are a few links to some info re: EISA.
After reading the Wikipedia page I wonder if the system, while having a 64 bit processor, is actually running in 32 bit mode?

Also; I see that one option which may help is to set ACPI=off as a boot parameter.
Worth a shot! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://askubuntu.com/questions/513...-resource-for-mainboard-error-on-installation (very similar to your error)

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story...lea-means-eisa-support-not-removed-from-linux (is EISA support even still there?)

@Vrai @Doktorfrank yes i read that set ACPI=off might help

i'm still with elilo so no expert on grub but i think you hit C to try to get into menu and append

ACPI=off to boot line

Ouch ! Andy and Charlie you guys are giving me some serious work to do.

If the OP chooses not to use ventoy, then everything since then is hijacking this thread.

On my tomorrow, I am going to carve off the extra fat into a new Thread and give ownership to Charlie. We can reference it from here.

Cheers

Wizard

BTW @Doktorfrank welcome to linux.org :)

Hi all and thanks for the help i have tried many different versions and now i finally succeeded with BionicPup32 (upup bionic beaver) i know it is only online but it looks great and my laptop indeed got some power or an rekarnation :)
I will try to find out to learn how to use it but for now i have spend so much time on trying in blindness to get something to work.so thanks for your help. And i am not quite sure what i learned from it yet but i formatted my harddisk and got it up running. You are wise men...:)

Hi all and thanks for the help i have tried many different versions and now i finally succeeded with BionicPup32 (upup bionic beaver) i know it is only online but it looks great and my laptop indeed got some power or an rekarnation :)
I will try to find out to learn how to use it but for now i have spend so much time on trying in blindness to get something to work.so thanks for your help. And i am not quite sure what i learned from it yet but i formatted my harddisk and got it up running. You are wise men...:)
great news i also booted that up i think (i did a few) and was quite impressed this was my screen shot; it recognized my wifi card on a relatively new laptop as well. I can boot live again if needed if you have any query with puppy. I think at least one other user on here also uses it .So any questions i'm sure you will get feedback. Is puppy installed? if so what approach did you use

Attachments

• puppy.jpg
    puppy.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts