Kernel and stack ip

SamNach

Reaction score
Credits
Hi
Is it possible to delete the stack IP from the linux kernel ? And how ?
I can't find any documents about it and i'm stuck.

What do you mean by "delete the stack IP"?

Do you mean you want to completely disable/remove the networking related TCP/IP stack? Or something else?
Can you give a little more detail on what you are trying to do?

I want to replace the current TCP/IP stack by an other one. I think I have to delete the current stack from the kernel and add mine (maybe I'm wrong but I can't find any information about projects like that on the internet.)

It's been a number of years since I built a custom kernel, but you might get the option to disable TCP/IP in the configuration menu.

If you have the kernel sources, try running:
Code:
make menuconfig

That will present you with a bunch of different options for building the kernel. I think there is an option to disable the tcp/ip stack in there.

How you'd go about replacing it with your own - I couldn't say. I primarily develop user-space applications. I haven't had much time or inclination to mess around at the kernel level.

The sources will probably help you to work it out.

If nothing else - assuming that the menuconfig script does offer you the ability to disable TCP/IP - you can take a look at the menuconfig script and the rest of the build-system to work out which modules are disabled/excluded from the build when you select the option to disable TCP/IP and then take a look at those modules to see how they have been implemented.

Then I guess you'd need to add your own module and amend the build-scripts to include it in the build.

Again, I haven't dealt with a lot of kernel level stuff, so I don't know for sure.

The official documentation for the kernel might be of some use:
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/index.html

Thank you a lot for these ideas and for your time :)
I'll try to work on these