KDE Slimbook

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
A Slimbook laptop with KDE Neon preinstalled, and the KDE logo engraved on the laptop’s lid. Part of the proceeds of the KDE Slimbook is donated to KDE, so by buying this machine, you’d also be supporting KDE financially. And looks very nice. :)
slimbook_181407-768x576.jpg

The first Linux ultrabook with a Ryzen 4000 processor and KDE's full-featured Plasma desktop and hundreds of Open Source programs and utilities.

ksnip_20210912-162637.png

About $1800 USD for a well-configured model (all the RAM and a middling NVMe).

That's actually not a bad price. I don't yet need another laptop, as I just got one recently.

About $1800 USD for a well-configured model (all the RAM and a middling NVMe).
It's actually less than that:
This one https://slimbook.es/en/store/slimbook-kde/kde-slimbook-15-comprar is €1049, around
$1250
This one https://slimbook.es/en/store/slimbook-kde/kde-slimbook-14-comprar is €999, around $1200
Those prices are the stock ones, you can of course choose more RAM, a disk with more storage capacity, which increases the price, for instance, you can get 64 GB RAM for €300 more, and a 2 TB SSD NVMe for €490 more, making up to around that number you said; $1800 for the 15' and a little less for the 14'. Here's a nice review of the laptop https://www.osnews.com/story/133880/kde-slimbook-the-best-way-to-run-kde/
This is nice. More and more companies/manufacturers are willing to invest in making Linux-ready computers, or at least to provide the choice to get a Linux OS installed. :)

Beautiful design and well priced for the specs (cozza no Windows + Office license?). I love how they changed the logo on the Super key. Finish looks great, so does build and keyboard quality though I'd have to physically play around to test the latter two. I wish LTT would review it! Definitely a consideration when I upgrade my laptop in the coming years.

It's actually less than that:

Not once you add the changes I mentioned (all the RAM and a middling NVMe) in my comment. At least not if I'm understanding this properly:

Selection_008.png

The price I mentioned was for the configuration I used.

The base model is much less, but I can't realistically have a device with that little RAM and I don't think I'll buy another device that doesn't have NVMe.

Not once you add the changes I mentioned
Yes, you're right, and I did mention that.
The base model is much less, but I can't realistically have a device with that little RAM and I don't think I'll buy another device that doesn't have NVMe.
Well, the 15 base model with 8 GB of RAM at 3200 MHz and a 250GB SSD NVMe doesn't look bad to me for $1250 at all.

Well, the 15 base model with 8 GB of RAM at 3200 MHz and a 250GB SSD NVMe doesn't look bad to me for $1250 at all.

If we're even a little handy, we could probably order the least amounts of RAM and disk space and then just swap it ourselves at a much lower price - but it's a really thin device so I'm not sure if it's easily swapped.

So, I've recently checked NVMe prices and they're available quite a bit cheaper than these folks are charging. I could go check the math, but ordering the lowest configuration and then adding your own NVMe would likely still be less expensive than ordering it with their NVMe prices.

Oh, the RAM slots are accessible too!

That's a game changer. You can skip their absurd RAM and NVMe prices. I wonder if they'd consider selling a model without RAM or an SSD/NVMe? Probably not, but that'd be pretty great.

You can skip their absurd RAM and NVMe prices
Yeah, sounds like a plan, however, I wonder how doing that would affect warranty? You know, better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
I love how they changed the logo on the Super key.
Yeah, me too. Looks great!

I wonder how doing that would affect warranty?

It hasn't previously voided warranties. I've twice RMA'ed devices that I've added RAM to or changed the drive in. While I restored the device to the correct configuration before sending them back, the company (Dell in one instance and Titan in another) was well aware that I'd swapped out RAM or the HDD.

Those are considered user-serviceable, as far as I'm aware.

Assuming you didn't force stuff and cause physical breakage, you should be fine. That's why the sockets/ports are user-accessible - I should think.

I suspect that opening up the slim devices that do not have panel access would void the warranty. In this case, they have made those accessible.

We could probably ask ahead of time, but it doesn't seem like it should.

Members online