Kali live with Persnickety )

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
So decided to try Kali. Followed the directions for Live with Persistence on Kali's site. Did not work at all. So had to do Rufus and tada!

Never really played with Kali much at all. Lots of forensic tools and such. Has its quirks. Setting the Timezone is blank with only an option after you type in a Letter such as "U" then US Eastern is on the list. As I said followed Kali's instructions and rebooted only to have to redo the WiFi and time/date. We shall see how this goes.

A quick bit of typing, though I'm sure you already know all this:

Kali really isn't meant to be a desktop system that you use as, you know, a regular desktop. So, it has all sorts of stuff (like you're encountering) that are rife with bugs - and will likely never get fixed. That's not their focus, so it's *perfectly* understandable. The issues arise when people try to use Kali as something it isn't - like a regular desktop system.

That said, have fun! It makes for a great pen-testing distro as well as having (as you mentioned) some forensic tools. It's a very useful tool in the right hands.

Yeah just don't wanna do Hiren Boot or Damn Small Linux.... or such. Just wanna have something to get old crap up and test without installing OS's. Still like my MX as daily on my most used Laptop. Mint on my sit around, I sign on to my bank pay my bills update Mint here and there and shut it down.

Occasional laptops are both running Peppermint since they need less than Mint does itself. Had a USB with MX +P but it started to fail Persistence now and then. So we will see. Was playing with some of the tools on Kali Rebooted a few times so far it is keeping sessions saved.

That's something I've never played with - persistence. I do a live USB test every day, pretty much. But, I never test persistence. I've never had cause to use it.

Rufus was easy, leave all setups the way they are except the size, if you got 32Gb USB then adjust it to 20 or so for the extra the rest is were the OS goes. It wrote itself. Once I ran Kali with Persistence from the menu, did the Time/Date and WiFi password and a test file on the desktop. Rebooted with the save session option, and it had all been saved. I will have to try that on MX since the actual create live from within MX works so-so.

Members online

Latest posts