Kali Live on USB with no primary OS

j4ck4lz

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone. I'm running an old Dell laptop (e5400) with a bootable USB and Kali. I deleted the operating system that was on the laptop when I bought it, so I'm trying to install an operating system that my SO can use easily, which she wanted Windows 10. I created a new partition to install Windows, now I'm getting the black screen. The Windows installation is on a CD so I'm trying to boot from disk drive with no luck.
Any thoughts or suggestions on what I may have done wrong?
I've been fighting with this thing for too long.
Thanks in advance

so I'm trying to install an operating system that my SO can use easily,

Then Kali is not the approach to take, it is for experts.

Try a mainstream distro such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Wizard

Then Kali is not the approach to take, it is for experts.

Try a mainstream distro such as Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

Wizard
Thank you for your response. I'm aware that Kali is for experts. I've been using BT5 and Ubuntu for years, I just wanted to see what Kali was about compared to Backtrack. The issue isn't within using Kali, it's a partitioning or driver issue. I'm giving my laptop to my SO (fiancé) so she can have something more user friendly, so I bought a Windows installation disk but I'm having issues getting the disk to read from BIOS. Possibly a driver or partitioning issue. Just looking for input.
Thanks

Thanks for the input.

So is it the case, then, that you wish to install Windows 10 on the laptop from the disk, and then also be able to boot into a Live session of Kali as well, from the USB stick?

Does the Kali USB boot into a Live session on the laptop?

I'm just trying to get more detail for whomever may help you, and with my being in Australia you will experience delays in responses.

I am thinking if the main issue is getting the laptop to accept a Win 10 install you may be better advised to ask that of a Windows forum, first.

Laptop brand name and model might assist so we can reference the specs.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks for the input.

So is it the case, then, that you wish to install Windows 10 on the laptop from the disk, and then also be able to boot into a Live session of Kali as well, from the USB stick?

Does the Kali USB boot into a Live session on the laptop?

I'm just trying to get more detail for whomever may help you, and with my being in Australia you will experience delays in responses.

I am thinking if the main issue is getting the laptop to accept a Win 10 install you may be better advised to ask that of a Windows forum, first.

Laptop brand name and model might assist so we can reference the specs.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfro

You are correct in saying that the PC will not read the installation disk. I'm not certain it has to do with Kali but I would like to be certain before proceeding. The make and model is Dell Latitude e5400.
I removed the main HDD operating system partition, and to use the laptop I boot Kali from USB. So if you try to boot the laptop with no drive, you get your error message (no bootable disk found) which was the plan when I bought the computer.
The goal is to install Windows 10 on the primary partition so I can make this computer operable for my fiancé.
My issue is that the installation disk will not read, even after changing the boot sequence. (This PC does not allow UEFI or Legacy options)
I'm wondering if I may have done something wrong while creating the new primary partition.
I used mkpart primary on dev/sda

Members online

Latest posts