Kali Linux live distro deadlocks on boot

Phracker

Reaction score
Credits
I burned a Kali Linux ISO file to an SD card so that it would be faster than an optical disc. When I booted, systemd got stuck on what looked like a couple processes waiting for each other to finish (one of them had something to do with Tor, the other just said "bootstrap"). Because it had no time limit, the wait persisted indefinitely. If I could simply reconfigure it to time out after a minute or so, the problem would be fixed. Also, I've had no difficulty booting the same ISO file in VirtualBox; this only happens when I try to load it on the bare metal. I'm using an older version of Kali, from November 2018, so maybe this is a bug that has been fixed since then, or it could be something that I'm doing wrong. Any advice?

We will need more details on what's the actual problem, like a log file, to help you.
Try to use a recent iso if it doesn't work out of the box. This is always sad to work on fixing a bug that has already been fixed.

We will need more details on what's the actual problem, like a log file, to help you.
Try to use a recent iso if it doesn't work out of the box. This is always sad to work on fixing a bug that has already been fixed.
How can I get a log file if I can't even get into the system? Is there a keystroke I can use to pause systemd and examine the system state?

Add some boot options to your kernel. Checkout "systemd.unit" if you think this is systemd related.

Have you adjusted your BIOS/UEFI to allow non-secure boot? Most systems will not allow Kali to boot from any media with secure boot enabled.

Members online