Kali 2.0 Rolling - Video Graphics problem

A

aquashift

Hello all! Hopefully the forums will let me post - I've been having trouble recently.
Well, this community has been so helpful and knowledgeable that I thought I'd put this problem I'm having on the table to see
what you all can come up with.
It is a graphics and/or hardware acceleration problem.
I honestly don't know what the exact problem is, but I know that I can't run anything that requires 3d graphics rendering, such as games that I would like to play.

I'm running Kali 2.0 Rolling release distribution.

Here is some output from my terminal regarding the issue:

Code:
root@KandA: ~# glxinfo
name of display: :0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

root@KandA: ~# glxgears
Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual

The machine I'm running my OS on is an older model Acer laptop. It has the Intel B960 processor, 2.2Ghz, 2MB L3 cache.

It has 2 cores, 2 threads.
It runs Intel HD graphics.
The only advanced technologies it has is "Enhanced Intel Speedstep, Intel Fast Memory Access, and Intel Flex Memory.
So, it doesn't have virtualization capabilities.

I'm adding this because I tried to use virtualbox to run an Ubuntu virtual machine for playing games that require a good graphics engine, but
because it doesn't have virtualization I can't really run a VM with much success.

I tried downloading the latest drivers for Intel HD graphics, but they aren't available via the aptitude/apt-get packages, and when I try to download the source and build it, there
are always dependencies that I lack, and can't get except by downloading with 'wget,' and in the end don't work themselves.

Is there anyone willing to help me troubleshoot my problem with me? I'm running out of ideas.
I'll download a game, or software, and give the error output. I'll give you guys any information you require to help me troubleshoot this.

I've been trying to make this work for a month, and am starting to realize that I can't have the penetration testing capabilites, AND the graphics capabilities too..

Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

First you need to have the xserver-xorg-video-intel package installed. Then also make sure you have mesa (looks like libgl1-mesa-* on Debian).

Staff online

Members online